Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 AM
rcompart
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!

Originally Posted by xfirepop
Hey rcompart,

Any updates on the keyless entry & start? I'm ready to get serious on my coupe and this sounds like a good start. The video looks great! I'm not too worried about the range, my office has a card reader entrance system that you have to hold the card up to. Since the card reader is about butt height the office staff can be seen butt slammin' the window next to the door all day. We just keep the card in our wallet. That might end up with a bare spot on the paint of the door, but could work....

Keep up the good work & innovative ideas. Some of us owners are not so vocal, we just watch and appreciate the inventive techniques of you guys.

Thanks,

RB
The big hitch in our setup is the liability of interfacing everything so our beloved cars don't end up leaving without us. Right now, the keyless proximity entry is somewhat of a go by it's self as is the push button start portion of it. Problem with combining the two is that you introduce a huge security gap because you are essentially defeating the factory security of the car to make them work. The keyless proximity allows someone to gain entry to the vehicle but without a key, they can't start the car. With the push button start, if they can't disable the factory alarm, the computer doesn't allow the vehicle to start. put the two together and without checks and balances, boom, someone just became the temporary owner of your car as it's driven off to be parted out. Another thing that is kind of hold us up is the liablity of disabling the steering wheel lock. A lot of thought was put into the design of this system so that it engages after the key is removed from the ignition but cannot accidentally engage while driving. You can see where I'm going with this. If we design something that circumvents this, it would either have to completely disable it rendering a theft deterent useless or make it so that it was enabled while the car is not started and disabled while it was. Easy in theory, hard in practice. What happens if it malfaunctions while you're speeding down the highway around a curve on an interstate and you end up crossing the center divider and collide with an oncoming motorist. I know I sound paranoid but these are things you have to think about with product development. It's easy to slap on the for off road use only but in the end, if it kills someone, it's going back to the guy that either designed or built it and at that point, it doesn't matter because someone got hurt or killed or someone's car got stolen. The people we have been working with on this are very reluctant to provide any insight to the customer on how to install such devices. This is to somewhat protect them from liablity but there is also negligence wherein you don't advise someone how to properly install said item. It's all about covering your *** in this litigous day and age. Sorry to cast doubt that this will ever get off the ground but the big difference is that a pillar pod or side skirt isn't going to cause you to lose control of your car. If your steering wheel locks up though, that's a different story. Everyone subscribed to this thread will be the first to know any developments.

Thanks for staying tuned.