Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!

UPDATE: Here's a video of how it will work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5HzkRvD4RA

Figured I'd start a new thread so that it is in the right category and so that I can start a list.

Alright, so here is the big cheese deal guys (and gals if we have any following this thread which I hope we do)

I have been talking Chinese this morning and have found a few suppliers that will build a system to my spec. I don't know prices yet as I haven't had a chance for them to sub any parts as of yet but what does everyone think of this design and if it will fly, what would everyone be willing to pay for such a system. With anything you get from china, the larger the run, the lower the cost. That being said, here are the juicy details.

We will put a spec together that involves the following: A replacement keyfob that will work with your existing security system. Chrysler will probably have a canipshit about this but I guess we'll have to see. You'd end up having to send in an existing key for me to get programing from and you will receive new replacement keyfobs plus your original back. The new one will look very similar to this or maybe even exactly like this. I don't want the keyfob to be cheap plastic junk so I'm sure they will end up being spendy little bastards but we aren't going for cheap, we are going for gonna work every time and not break.

Doing it this way, I can have limitations built into the system and can gain more functionality such as remote start! That's right. Autos, nothing special. Manuals, you will have to make sure the emergency brake is engaged and that it isn't in gear and the only way to do that is to make the system wait for you to get out of the vehicle and close the doors at which point the engine will stop running and then you will be able to do the remote start as long as none of the doors are opened again. This will add cost so if not enough people want it, it's getting tossed. Next, the system will have various input to see different things like the keyless go ****. I'm thinking that in order to make this easy enough for anyone to use it, it needs to be a simple if the vehicle is in park and your foot is on the brake (hold the clutch and the brake on a manual), you press the button for 3 seconds and the car starts, do it again and it turns off. The trick will be making sure the system knows if the car is running. It will need a tach sense so that if you kill the engine in a manual on a hill or something, you can just hold down the button again to start it. Next will be the steering wheel lock. Can't get past it if you want to not ever have to use a key. This will require you to remove or grind down ot break or whatever you do to the locking pin so that it doesn't lock any more. Lastly comes the proximity portion of the system. Some want it push button to unlock and other don't so depending on price, if I can build it in where it's a simple dip switch setting for oen way or the other, I will but if not, it's gonna be walk within 15-20 feet of the vehicle, it unlocks, and locks when you walk 15-20 feet way from your car. Can't do driver door only as the key when used to unlock the doors unlocks them all and that is where this will tie into. The other thing is I guess if I can get the range and everything down right, I will try to make it so you can have the fob in either pocket by mounting the interior sensor under the seat if it will not get interference from the seat heaters and power seet motors on the limiteds and SRT6s. If that won't work, we'll have to make make it so it mounts in the somewhere that will receive it from both sides. I want to get all this to fit into a nice little package that will tuck behind the dash.

As it sits, there is no way this will be under $300 even if we get a ton of people to buy one. first reason is the cost of the shfter. They seem to run about $150 on ebay. Don't know how much they are from MB but I would assume much higher. I will try to find and post more information. If anyone knows where you can get teh shifter cheaper, let me know.

We need to get at least 50 people in on this for sure though as they usually won't touch something unless there are hundreds but something this in depth and expensive they may make an exception. I'll really get moving on this when there are at least 25 commited people out there.

1. rcompart
2. jonnyangel04
3. Steven 4190
4. TaReGt
5. ImportLabSRT
6. SRT6_Roadster
7. MUTT
8. Walker

Fill these spots up!!!

Last edited by rcompart; 09-28-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!

Count me in. looking forward.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!

How much of an installation nightmare will this be?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 AM

Unless you are familiar with the electronics of your car, you will need to have a shop install this just the same as any other remote start. Only difference will be mounting the RFID antennas and connecting the push to start shifter which shouldn't be a problem if they are a reputable shop. For the brave, it's a matter of getting at the wires in your ignition harness, soldering the appropriate wires and and doing the same down in the kick panel for the lock/unlock and then positioning the RFID antennas and connecting the push to start shifter. I'd say this is a 7 on a scale of 1-10 for ease of install. One thing you cannot do is use wire crimps or "scotch-locks". they need to be soldered so that the conention points are good and there is no way for them to get loose or become disconnected.

BTW, not sure if I said this but I want to make sure the fob will work with factory MB key blanks so there isn't any problem getting replacement keys.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 AM

When will i get mine?
I want one....NOW

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont need one, but if its under 500 ill do it

Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Also, this will have some way to beep and flash the lights if you want to let you know its locked.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Also, this will have some way to beep and flash the lights if you want to let you know its locked.

Wish I could commit to buy it, but definitely don't have the money. If produced, would we be able to buy these are a later date.. say a few months down the road? Or is this a one time only deal?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by nox1s
Wish I could commit to buy it, but definitely don't have the money. If produced, would we be able to buy these are a later date.. say a few months down the road? Or is this a one time only deal?
Depending upon how well they do, I may carry these as a regular stock item or it may be a deal where we will need to get a group of people together to buy them. Nothing is set in stone. I can't do much to get pricing from them until I have at lease 25 people that will for sure buy this unit at which time I can get actual pricing with all the little details worked out. If I know that I have 25 people that will buy one at $300, I can say, here is how many I want, this is what I'm willing to pay and if the minimum quantity is 50, I'd have to buy the remaining units to get the deal done depending on price.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

I am very interested but have to say that holding the button for 3 seconds is an awfully long time. Is there a way to set this shorter, esp for those of us with automatics?

You can add me to the list. I am comfortable with the price range.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 PM

add me if price is $300

Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
I am very interested but have to say that holding the button for 3 seconds is an awfully long time. Is there a way to set this shorter, esp for those of us with automatics?

You can add me to the list. I am comfortable with the price range.
The reason for the 3 seconds deal is because you need to be positivly sure you want to start the car. Time how long it takes right now for you to insert the key into the car, turn the key on and turn the car over. It's almost 3 seconds so I figured this is pretty appropriate.

It's still open to discussion but I don't want this the end up being a problem for someone that erroneously starts their car because they bump the button.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Im in for $300!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Forum Regular

Anyway to make the starting time user programmable, or offer 1 length of time for sticks and one for autos, or just offer different options? Not trying to make things overly complicated but I still think 3 seconds is a long time for a car with an automatic. I can see that length of time if the car is a stick - want to make sure someone does not put it into a wall. Which I have seen happen with a stick and remote start.

In the car's I have driven with factory push button start I think you just have to hold the button for 1 second or so.

I am sure you have given this a lot of thought and I am not trying to play Monday morning quarterback or "kick sand on the project" but giving it a little though 20 feet for locking and unlocking sounds like it could be a bit far (I have not walked this out). Is there a reason for this distance? I would think that 10-12 feet would be a better distance but maybe that is not enough time for the car to respond and actually unlock the doors. Although we can still use the lock & unlock button on the key fob, right? If that is the case I guess it is really sort of a moot point depending on how the system reacts when the lock/unlock buttons are used.

I reread the original post concerning the price. I need to revise my answer. I am comfortable with a $300ish price range. The higher it goes above that... $325 I am still in but I am not sure I would be in for $500 as an example of potential pricing.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
Anyway to make the starting time user programmable, or offer 1 length of time for sticks and one for autos, or just offer different options? Not trying to make things overly complicated but I still think 3 seconds is a long time for a car with an automatic. I can see that length of time if the car is a stick - want to make sure someone does not put it into a wall. Which I have seen happen with a stick and remote start.

In the car's I have driven with factory push button start I think you just have to hold the button for 1 second or so.

I am sure you have given this a lot of thought and I am not trying to play Monday morning quarterback or "kick sand on the project" but giving it a little though 20 feet for locking and unlocking sounds like it could be a bit far (I have not walked this out). Is there a reason for this distance? I would think that 10-12 feet would be a better distance but maybe that is not enough time for the car to respond and actually unlock the doors. Although we can still use the lock & unlock button on the key fob, right? If that is the case I guess it is really sort of a moot point depending on how the system reacts when the lock/unlock buttons are used.

I reread the original post concerning the price. I need to revise my answer. I am comfortable with a $300ish price range. The higher it goes above that... $325 I am still in but I am not sure I would be in for $500 as an example of potential pricing.
The problem I see with just making it one second is one-one-thousand just doesn't seem like a long enough period to be positive you want to start the car. The cars that you only have to push the button for a second have another switch that you have to turn to on or run for the switch to work. We don't have that luxury. I guess the other option we can look at is to just have it so there is no turning the car to run and make it so when you press the button for a second, it turns on the car and cranks the engine until it starts and if a tach signal is there, just press it for a second to turn it off and if the car is on but there is no tach signal (like when you kill the engine once in a blue moon when starting out on an incline) it will just refire the engine. I'm still at the point where I can make these changes so I want people to voice their opinions about the system now. I know that some people may like it one way, other another and some won't like it at all so I'm trying to find the happy medium.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM

i agree with srt-6 roadster with the button delay. my reason is because there are going to be times where i am in a hurry and a 3 second button will feel like an eternity. i dont see why an auto would have to worry about being sure or not sure if they want the car to start up. if it starts accidentally oh well. they can turn it off. they are obviously sitting in the car. and for turning the car off i would prefer two or three quick clicks to turn it off. once again for reasons like if you were in a rush. the great thing about the key is that if you are in a rush you can just twist it and let it go and it will start itself there is no need to hold it. and so you can have it sitting in reverse. im in a rush alot haha. and would like a system that was not inconvenient

Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM

and as far as the proximity sensor goes i want it far enough away where i can sprint to the car and it will be a long enough distance away for it to recognize im coming and unlock the door. once again so its not inconvenient for me to have to sit at the door and wait for it to unlock because i came to the car to fast. since im in college and i have class 3 times a day i sprint to my car alot!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Voyager
and as far as the proximity sensor goes i want it far enough away where i can sprint to the car and it will be a long enough distance away for it to recognize im coming and unlock the door. once again so its not inconvenient for me to have to sit at the door and wait for it to unlock because i came to the car to fast. since im in college and i have class 3 times a day i sprint to my car alot!
I'm with you about wanting to get in and go. So where are we at then? One push, two pushes, three pushes? I'm somewhat confused as to what the consensus is.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM

i think it would depend on the quickness of the button if that makes sense. you know how some buttons have a slight delay. that is something to keep in mind if it does. i would say if its quick then 2 if not then 1

Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM

and turning off the car i think if its quick 3 CLICKS not seconds. and if its not 2. i could see accidentally turning the car off more annoying but i and this is my opinion would be fine with it being as fast as possible as long as it could only be turned off IF THE CAR IS IN PARK.

Quick Reply: NoKeyGo - Keyless Proximity Entry, Remote Start, KeylessGo Pushbutton Start!!!