View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Franc Rauscher
Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Re: Why You Should Have a Spare Crossfire!!!

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I just pulled the "metal-straw" out.....you should see this thing....almost 2 inches long....super hard metal.....hollow.......hollow center is 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide....didn't take long for all the air to come out...

I tried the sealant & compressor.....outside of tire looked fine....after no luck I look at the inside of tire......split wide open...shreds.

Glad it didn't happen when I was going 131 back in Dec. !!

At 80, the TPMS warning was of no value with a hole that size .....strong vibration-like it was way out of balance....got stopped within 1/4 mile..I was in the far left lane of I435...a 4 or 5 lane highway. I think the TPMS should have a LOUD audible warning....not just visual!!!!

Wheel looks OK.....? Guess I'll find out for sure when Tire Rack ships the new one.....guess I should have bought the Road-Hazzard Warranty!!
TPS would likely not have had time audible warning or not. I hit a 3/4 copper tube and lost the tire at about 60 MPH. Same scenario only my "other " Crossfire was right there in Nashville to shuttle me backandforth tothe Auto Zone and get a patch kit.

Now I have two front's and two backs with tires mounted in the garage. Cheaper than a third Crossfire although, if I can buy it right, Hmmmmm.

With so many guys going to after market wheels, just keep watch and a few hundred bucks handy.

roadster with a stick