View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How-to Basic Wash?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think that what I said covers car wash shampoos as well, these shampoos may contain other elements but the essence of what I said is also true of these shampoos.
The statement is also true for hand soap, hair shampoo etc. as well. They may contain aromatics, aloe etc. but the main ingredient is still good old soap of some description.
I have no desire to make my own car wash shampoo, the following list shows some of the possible ingredients:
Beta-alanine, N-(2-carboxyethyl)-N-dodecyl monosodium salt
Cocoamide DEA
Trideceth – 7
Alcohols, C11- 15- secondary, ethoxylated ( I prefer good scotch straight)
EDTA tetrasodium salt
Carnauba wax
Carboxy vinyl polymer
Tall oil fatty acid
Dimethylamino ethanol
Sodium hydroxide
Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid
Sodium tripolyphosphate
Potassium hydroxide
Ethanol

PS, do not forget to add water and stir.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing the point. But not all soaps are created equal, and it's amazing how many people, when it comes to car "soap", think it's nothing special. These same people would never even consider washing their hair with Tide, nor do the dishes with Suave Shampoo and Conditioner, nor do the laundry with a bar of Lava, yet they think nothing of washing the car with Dawn. Dawn dishwashing detergent will strip your wax right off the car, even if you applied it yesterday. A good quality car wash soap will not.

All I'm saying is "all "soaps" (as the general public generically defines them) are not created equal".