Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

How-to Basic Wash?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: How-to Basic Wash?

Used the Meguiar's PlastX yesterday on the headlights, foglights, and taillights, with varying results.

Headlights and fog weren't bad to begin with. The PlastX seems VERY similar to the ScratchX product. After 20 minutes of hand polishing on each headlight (about 5 songs' worth via the surround-sound system in the garage), they looked slightly clearer. Probably would need the sanding/polisher approach to get them closer to crystal clear, with fewer tiny pits. The fog light covers, down low on the front, took about two songs each.

But the taillights were a different story. Again, about 5 songs each. They had, if you looked closely, numerous scratches from someone's previous paint polishing attempts. With the PlastX polishing almost all the scratches came out, and the surfaces of the lens are much shinier. My guess is that the taillights are made of a much softer plastic, and so they polish-up much easier than the headlights.

Didn't do the side markers, but should take a closer look at them today.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

As usual, a lot grt info here...just took on my son's ole' 97 Gran Am. We just passed it down to his younger brother. Got out the PC, and went at it...younger brother wasn't too pleased to get a hand me down, but appreciated the ride. So, I detailed it, put a set of tires and wheels on it...now, she looks like a new car...younger brother, is now pleased with his new ride...just goes to show ya, keep'em detailed and lookin' good...and everyone is happy....

Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM

"So, I detailed it,"

Yes, I'd do my wife's vehicle too, but it takes weeks to do a top-to-bottom, inside-and-out great job. Seems like only when selling a vehicle (or buying an XF ) can I motivate myself to do it (and put off much more important things ...).

Today used Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray on the black seats and steering wheel. Again, they weren't bad to being with, so the improvement was only slight. But smells good!

Marker lights were fine, so I didn't polish them. Did use the Ultimate Quik Detailer spray over all the paint, but don't see a difference. The label makes it sound a lot like RainX, but for the paint instead of the glass.

Used the Black Magic Titanium Tire Wet Gel on the tires, for the first time. Maybe the last, unless it dries to something not so tacky (in both ways ...). Very shiny look, but not that smooth, yet.

Almost ready to take some pictures.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

FYI -- Pics added to my gallery.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM

FYI -- Just clay barred the XF again (second time). Got a little more off the roof, but not much elsewhere. But the car has been stored inside, and I've only put 1500 miles or so on it in two years, and almost never driven it in or after rain.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one has really addressed this in the "wash" thread - is it safe to take my soft top through a carwash? anyone had experience with this? thanks!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by birdxofxprey
no one has really addressed this in the "wash" thread - is it safe to take my soft top through a carwash? anyone had experience with this? thanks!
Personally, I would never take any car through a car wash that has brushes due to swirl marks. If you can find a brushless wash, you may be able to go through it, but usually the higher pressures in the 'touchless' systems tend to blow water into areas around the top seal because of the pressure.

The short answer - maybe, but be careful

Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Boiler, not a good idea. I've read several roadster owners say they experienced leaks between the roof and window from the powerful washer jets in auto car washes.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
I agree with Boiler, not a good idea. I've read several roadster owners say they experienced leaks between the roof and window from the powerful washer jets in auto car washes.
thanks guys - much appreciated!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Personally, I would never take any car through a car wash that has brushes due to swirl marks. If you can find a brushless wash, you may be able to go through it, but usually the higher pressures in the 'touchless' systems tend to blow water into areas around the top seal because of the pressure.

The short answer - maybe, but be careful
Bware of dealers that change your oil for most wash your car also as part of the service but they use brushes to clean it...FYI.

Kj

Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by kjwinston
Bware of dealers that change your oil for most wash your car also as part of the service but they use brushes to clean it...FYI.

Kj
Worked at a BMW/Infiniti dealer in my younger years, I know the drill

And I would NEVER allow a dealer that, more than likely, does not even stock our oil, to change the stuff in my car. I would rather do it myself and know that Mobile1 0w40 made it in there, in the proper amount, and that the cap was screwed on so it won't blow off like several other here have experienced after a dealer oil change...

The '5 star' and 'crossfire certified tech' really do not impress me as most of them were certified on the car 6+ years ago and have maybe seen a handful of them over the years, but do not work on them regularly enough to maintain a skillset for the car.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

[quote=BoilerUpXFire]Worked at a BMW/Infiniti dealer in my younger years, I know the drill
quote]
It can't have been too long ago or it would have been child labor.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM

[quote=onehundred80]
Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Worked at a BMW/Infiniti dealer in my younger years, I know the drill
quote]
It can't have been too long ago or it would have been child labor.
LOL since I have always been a car guy, I started working there at 14 and was running the complimentary Saturday carwash by 16, still well over a decade ago...

Old 07-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my basic wash, quick and easy. Hopefully, someone will tell me if something is dramatically wrong. I haven't seen any damage or downside in a year. Go to a self-wash and use pressure washer on everything that is blue. Avoid the other stuff. About four minutes of high pressure wash guarantees me there is no sand or grit left anywhere, just stuck-on fine dust is left behind. Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax applied and rubbed in (no circles!) with a Wookiee-looking green mitten-you know the type. Then a rinse. Then spray Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax on a panel, then use a LARGE microfiber towel to simultaneously dry and spread the spray-on wax evenly. After drying the whole car with the soaked LARGE miccrofiber towel, I begin getting it really dry with small microfiber towels. Spraying the Quik Wax on any spots I see to remove them. Work from top to bottom, cuz it's always dirtiest on bottom. Don't use car rags on tires or vice versa.

Last edited by TheThomaswastaken; 07-06-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

I agree with others, regarding taking the XFire (Coupe or Roadster) to a car wash that uses brushes or strips during the washing. I do take my F150 to a car wash nearby but I'm not as concerned as I would be on the Crossfire.

I did take my Crossfire to an automatic car wash in Hagerstown, MD when I went to Carlisle one year. But this car wash never actually touched the car (I knew it was there from working an assignment in the city a few months before). All the soaping cycles only sprayed my car and the rinsing was the same. Did the car really get "clean". Probably not like it would if I washed it in my driveway. But considering being on the road to Carlisle, it was more than good enough and I finished up detailing it when I got to the showfield.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I agree with others, regarding taking the XFire (Coupe or Roadster) to a car wash that uses brushes or strips during the washing. I do take my F150 to a car wash nearby but I'm not as concerned as I would be on the Crossfire.

I did take my Crossfire to an automatic car wash in Hagerstown, MD when I went to Carlisle one year. But this car wash never actually touched the car (I knew it was there from working an assignment in the city a few months before). All the soaping cycles only sprayed my car and the rinsing was the same. Did the car really get "clean". Probably not like it would if I washed it in my driveway. But considering being on the road to Carlisle, it was more than good enough and I finished up detailing it when I got to the showfield.
Some car washes have side rails that guide the wheels into the correct path through the car wash, those rails would not be too friendly to low profile tires and rims almost flush with the sidewalls.
Bad things happen at times when the equipment fails.
Car wash? Never.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Some car washes have side rails that guide the wheels into the correct path through the car wash, those rails would not be too friendly to low profile tires and rims almost flush with the sidewalls.
Bad things happen at times when the equipment fails.
Car wash? Never.
I totally agree with your points regarding most automatic car washes. But in the case of the "no touch" car wash in Hagerstown, my XFire never came in contact with any device in the car wash. You pulled into the wash bay until the front end broke a photo eye that told you the car was properly positioned & the car wash began the cycle approximately 10 seconds after. After wash & rinse, you drove ahead to creep past the blow dryers mounted at the exit.