View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 AM
shapeshifter309
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake problem. Need advice?

Originally Posted by xfirepop
Shapeshifter;

The most likely candidate for one pad wearing is dirty slides. As a master ASE tech and having done hundreds of brake jobs, I have no doubt that the slides are giving you problems. I saw that on 90% of the problem brakes.

However if you want to diagnose the problem here is the way:
If the inner pad is wearing prematurely it is the piston sticking.
If the outer pad is wearing prematurely it is the slides sticking.
To solve the piston sticking, the caliper needs to be overhauled or buy rebuilt (loaded) units and just install them.
If the slides are sticking, you only have to remove the pins, clean them with steel wool, lightly wipe them with anti-seize compound and reinstall them, with new pads of course.
Final note: brakes are always done in axle sets. So do the same to the other side.

If it's under warranty be sure to see the old parts they remove. It insures you get the work you ask for and there is no fraud involved.

Let me know how this turns out. This could also be the opportunity to paint the calipers if you are so inclined. They look really nice on our cars. Just please don't use purple or pink!! So not kuhl.

Xfirepop
It does seem like a caliper problem. I've never done a brake job, so I couldn't tell what is exactly wrong with it. I've ruled out the E-brake, since the noise changes when I apply brake pressure. I'm not sure it goes away entirely, but I do know the whooshing sound stops. It sounds like, however, when I apply brake pressure that the sound goes from that to a continuous metal-against-metal rubbing sound. It could just be normal brake noise though. Either way, it's very faint.

From what I know, it has to be a caliper problem. I hope it's what you've described, since it seems that what you're describing seems like its cheaper. I didn't try to feel how much heat was coming off the inner side of the rotor, just the outer, so it may be that.