View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
rcompart
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: is every thing in our power train...

Originally Posted by Teck-9
the same as an slk 320? cuz i found an slk amg engine in a junkyard and bought the supercharger off of it. that should work right? it was a 2002 engine and looked the same as mine. do i need to do anything else to make this work once installed?
I speak from experience when I say you would be better off saving the 3-5K you'll end up putting into this as down payment for an SRT6. When doing something of this magnitude, you have to take into consideration the possibility of replacing your engine because you've destroyed the bottom end. It's no fun and it's not cheap either. This is a real concern because doing something like this will be pushing the engine to it's limits. If the only thing you have purchased so far is the kompressor, consider yourself lucky and stop right there because it's the least expensive part of the whole project when you start adding up all the other costs associated with it.

That being said, the blocks are physically the same but the internals are very different. You will need an assortment of parts to make this work some of which you can purchase from Mercedes and some of which you will need to have custom fabricated. You will need to get boost down to an acceptable level by having a new pulley machined that is twice or more the diameter of the factory pulley because the compression on the N/A motor is too high and detonation will occur unless you get the boost levels down to around 6-7psi. You will need to change out the timing cover with that from an SRT6, SLK32 or C32 because the N/A timing cover lacks the mounting locations to properly route the belt to the supercharger. You will need to swap out the injectors with higher flowing ones because the stock N/A injectors cannot provide enough fuel for the additional air. You will need to figure out something for your fuel management whether its a FMU or a stand alone ECU because you will need some way for the engine to recognize boost and add fuel in proportion to the rise in boost. You will need a special intake so you can utilize the MAF sensor as the N/A ECU uses a MAF sensor for fuel metering. You will then need to do a lot of tuning to get everything right.

I know I am leaving out a very large portion of what is necessary but you get the idea that this isn't just a simple bolt on power adder and something that shouldn't be approached without deep pockets.