Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

is every thing in our power train...

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is every thing in our power train...

the same as an slk 320? cuz i found an slk amg engine in a junkyard and bought the supercharger off of it. that should work right? it was a 2002 engine and looked the same as mine. do i need to do anything else to make this work once installed?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: is every thing in our power train...

Same.
All you need is an SRT. But then they already have a SC on them.
Do you have a bad one or would this be a spare??

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Teck-9
the same as an slk 320? cuz i found an slk amg engine in a junkyard and bought the supercharger off of it. that should work right? it was a 2002 engine and looked the same as mine. do i need to do anything else to make this work once installed?
I speak from experience when I say you would be better off saving the 3-5K you'll end up putting into this as down payment for an SRT6. When doing something of this magnitude, you have to take into consideration the possibility of replacing your engine because you've destroyed the bottom end. It's no fun and it's not cheap either. This is a real concern because doing something like this will be pushing the engine to it's limits. If the only thing you have purchased so far is the kompressor, consider yourself lucky and stop right there because it's the least expensive part of the whole project when you start adding up all the other costs associated with it.

That being said, the blocks are physically the same but the internals are very different. You will need an assortment of parts to make this work some of which you can purchase from Mercedes and some of which you will need to have custom fabricated. You will need to get boost down to an acceptable level by having a new pulley machined that is twice or more the diameter of the factory pulley because the compression on the N/A motor is too high and detonation will occur unless you get the boost levels down to around 6-7psi. You will need to change out the timing cover with that from an SRT6, SLK32 or C32 because the N/A timing cover lacks the mounting locations to properly route the belt to the supercharger. You will need to swap out the injectors with higher flowing ones because the stock N/A injectors cannot provide enough fuel for the additional air. You will need to figure out something for your fuel management whether its a FMU or a stand alone ECU because you will need some way for the engine to recognize boost and add fuel in proportion to the rise in boost. You will need a special intake so you can utilize the MAF sensor as the N/A ECU uses a MAF sensor for fuel metering. You will then need to do a lot of tuning to get everything right.

I know I am leaving out a very large portion of what is necessary but you get the idea that this isn't just a simple bolt on power adder and something that shouldn't be approached without deep pockets.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your money isn't completely wasted. It will make a nice coffee table if you put a piece of glass on top.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM

trust me, it wont be cheaper for me to get an srt 6 cuz someone else bought me the car and i cant trade up.
what if i get a whole new engine and ecu?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM

All in all it would be cheaper ($$$ and headaches) to buy an SRT.
Age thiny sez yer 18. I would have LOVED to have even an NA Crossfire at 18! Enjoy it!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Haha, yea I'm 19 and I still sometimes find it hard to believe that I have one! But I agree with everybody else, it is way too much of a headache and too much of a risk to the vechile to supercharge it. It would be better to get a V-8 engine, in my opinion.

-Sam

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM

every one keeps sayin get an srt6. so i will come out and say it. i am way way way tooooooo emotionally attached to that car to get another, call me a girl if you want to, i would rather spend more $$$ and headaches. the v8 guy said that a v8 will work with the 04 trans and powertrain and he has the same year i do. 04. i guess from what you guys say, if i want more speed from MY CURRENT car, i will need an engine and ecu transplant. a supercharged v6 is faster than a non scharged v8 (correct if wrong) and a scharged v8 is too expensive. so i will find an angine and ecu from an srt6 or slk32 amg. with a whole new engine and ecu, there shouldt be anny issues. (Correct if wrong.) i shouldnt need a new trans or powertrain components right?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM

every one keeps sayin get an srt6. so i will come out and say it. i am way way way tooooooo emotionally attached to that car to get another, call me a girl if you want to, i would rather spend more $$$ and headaches. the v8 guy said that a v8 will work with the 04 trans and powertrain and he has the same year i do. 04. i guess from what you guys say, if i want more speed from MY CURRENT car, i will need an engine and ecu transplant. a supercharged v6 is faster than a non scharged v8 (correct if wrong) and a scharged v8 is too expensive. so i will find an angine and ecu from an srt6 or slk32 amg. with a whole new engine and ecu, there shouldt be anny issues. (Correct if wrong.) i shouldnt need a new trans or powertrain components right?
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the advice everyone has been giving you is 100% correct. These are some incredibly smart people. You may be extremely attached to your current xfire (heck arn't we all?) but the amount of money that you are going to end up pouring into this "project" will easily buy you a nearly mint srt6 (probably one still under warranty) last i looked 17500 - 19000. plus you have to remember that after spending all that money on a conversion, it may never be just right. Gremlins have a way of being very persistent on this kind of project. just my 2 cents. that being said, good luck on the project and welcome to the forum (you will need us if you go through with this!!!)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 PM

thanks, i plan to. my dads a car dealer, so i can get parts for wholesale price. i can buy an srt 6 power train ( engine tranny drive shaft differential drive axels) (everything between power and pavement) for 4500 dollars plus 1000 installation. so now in a world where i have the whole srt6 power train, what else would i have to replace? and is an srt 6 the same as a slk32amg underneath (aside from body and interrior)? and i know these are smart people or i wouldnt be asking advice from them. if they say it will be big cash and headaches, i will believe them....but make the conscious decision knowing that to proceed anyways. i will however in my position, be able to reduce the effects of the cost of parts and labor. *starts caidences* te huh ya huh i can do this i can do thisi can do this te huh ya huh

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular

If you have an automatic tranny in your NA, it is only rated for 240 ft #'s (330nm)of torque. I just changed the fluid and filter in mine and the power the supercharger added was definately too much for it(LOTS of wear). I can 100% tell you that getting an SRT6 is the best possible solution unless you have a six speed manual. Also there probably isn't enough room for the underdrive pulley required if you use the SRT6 supercharger. LS1 is my next and last project for the Xfire.....

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Search for posts by HDDP. He did a swap similar to what you are planning on. Its documented real well.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM

thanks, i pmed him just now. if i am willing to go through the time and effort, replacing every moving component and every electronic except lights and sound system, there shouldnt be a problem. it wont cost me as much as you all think cuz i can get parts wholesale, company labor rates, tax exempts and etc. with that and my emotional and predicamental attachment to the car, replacing everything listed above should make this possible for me, and cheaper and easier han just gettin an srt. plus this can b a pay as u go project. buyin the car cannot. so im gonna get this started. im gonna start tracking down every component of the srt6 and slk32 amg powertrain and every srt6 and slk32 amg electrical component minus sound system, locking, windows and lights etc first thing tomorrow morning.......eastern time. lol.and with guidance and knowhow from this forum, im gonna do this!!! teh hu yahuh er yu lets go srt hu hah lets go amg hey hu yu hoorah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Teck-9; 08-06-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
If you have an automatic tranny in your NA, it is only rated for 240 ft #'s (330nm)of torque. I just changed the fluid and filter in mine and the power the supercharger added was definately too much for it(LOTS of wear). I can 100% tell you that getting an SRT6 is the best possible solution unless you have a six speed manual. Also there probably isn't enough room for the underdrive pulley required if you use the SRT6 supercharger. LS1 is my next and last project for the Xfire.....
NOW yer talkin' Chuck!
When will you start that thread??????????
I'm subscribed already!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Hi,
The SRT also includes larger brakes, beefier tranny and suspension components, i.e., sway bars, shocks, forged wheels, etc... to better cope with the increased hp, torque and sport driving style. You may want to consider adding these items too. Good Luck with the project! Oh ya, and buy a good radar detector.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks, i plan to. my dads a car dealer, so i can get parts for wholesale price. i can buy an srt 6 power train ( engine tranny drive shaft differential drive axels) (everything between power and pavement) for 4500 dollars plus 1000 installation. so now in a world where i have the whole srt6 power train, what else would i have to replace? and is an srt 6 the same as a slk32amg underneath (aside from body and interrior)? and i know these are smart people or i wouldnt be asking advice from them. if they say it will be big cash and headaches, i will believe them....but make the conscious decision knowing that to proceed anyways. i will however in my position, be able to reduce the effects of the cost of parts and labor. *starts caidences* te huh ya huh i can do this i can do thisi can do this te huh ya huh
If you can get a handbuilt AMG motor, SC, tranny and everything else mechanically, I want to know where you are stealing it. I read your pops is a dealer, but still, I worked in an MB dealership and there is no way ANYONE can get that stuff that cheap.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Will your daddy adopt me? I'd like a new toy, too.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewson00
Search for posts by HDDP. He did a swap similar to what you are planning on. Its documented real well.
HDDP's swap doesn't really have a lot of relevance to this because he stripped the car down to only the very bare necessities and he was running that engine on a couple thousand dollar EMS. His swap was more about getting a manual mated up to an SRT6 engine. If you really want to do this and don't mind swapping everything out, have your dad find an SRT6 from a salvage auction that's in rough shape and swap out all the electronics and drivetrain. It'll cost you 6-7 grand but at least then you're doing it about as right as one could do it and you'll have all the parts you need in one place.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hey, Tech-9, what will you do for badges and wheels? How about the embossed head rest and the skirt? Does this stuff matter at all?

I think you're crazy and so is your dad.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Did HDDP ever post any evidence that he finished his swap?

I read vague posts about the difficulty of doing what he wanted to do, but never any real photos of the SRT6 engine in his NA car.

As they say...pics or shenanigans!!

Quick Reply: is every thing in our power train...