Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece

Originally Posted by xodus52
Are you sure? I've read elsewhere on the forum that some members have had their paper filters "disintegrate" around 5000 miles. i just dont want to take any chances w/my baby lol.
Positive. As far as I can tell there are no reported paper filter failures anywhere in the forum. Please provide link to thread documenting actual disintegration of filters.

Keep in mind that the same manufacturers that make fleece filters, e.g. Mann, also make paper filters for your engine. A few years ago MB started selling cars that had really long service intervals (like 13K miles or longer), roughly double that of your Crossfire. The more durable fleece filters were indicated for use in those applications.

I have used a paper filter for the past year (will change oil sometime this fall), because that is all the automotive store had, but have put less than 3K miles in that time. I do have a couple fleece filters for future use ($13 each, no need to spend more than that) but don't have any lack of confidence in the paper filters. After all, the vast majority of new vehicles on the road today still use paper as a filtering medium and most have oil change intervals comparable to that of the Crossfire.