Thread: AM Radio
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
emforce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AM Radio

Thanks for all the info - I kinda like the radio as is - and I can live without AM - was just wondering if everyone had a similar problem - I know we have one of the strongest stations in the midwest in Saint Louis - and I can't hear a peep.

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
My Roadster is an 05 with the Infinity Nav Radio and the AM reception is fair - same for the FM receptoin. Nothing outstanding, but both work fairly well.

Of course, the Roadsters use a deck-mounted antenna not that silly thing in the glass.

Remember:

1) If you can drive by an AM radio station's antenna tower and STILL not hear them - the antenna is not connected to the radio OR the radio has an internal defect. Select FM, if you can hear some stations, then the antenna IS connected.

2) If you can hear FM stations ok, but can't hear AM stations - the antenna IS connected, but either the antenna or radio are ineffective on the AM band. Those in-glass antennas are pretty poor at AM reception.

It is TOTALLY possible to have a radio that works on FM but not on AM, as the "Front ends" of the receivers are SEPARATE for AM and FM. About the only way to PROVE where the problem is, in the event you can hear FM and not AM - is to install a new antenna and see if he helps. But where would you mount a new antenna on a Coupe?

OR you could buy a new radio and try that!