Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

AM Radio

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AM Radio

Did a search on the audio section and the only thing i can find is like 4 years old. And most of the questions there concern upgrades, IPods, etc. I like to listen to AM radio once and awhile for a couple local talk shows. Tried AM for the first time yesterday - and got nothing - even on the strongest stations! Anyone have experience with this problem? I can probably live with it - but if it is an easy fix - ??

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: AM Radio

Do you have window tint on the rear window? That will obstruct the reception.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Yes it does, That must be it - although I wonder why radio waves can go through wooden walls into your house but not through tint. ??

Shawn

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Do you have window tint on the rear window? That will obstruct the reception.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know. But we have the same issue with our coupe. You can always install an external antenna.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM

i have a 2005 convertible with external antenna, can,t get any am stations, fm works fine,I thinking its a bad connection to antenna, don,t have a clue on how to get to connections. I also like talk radio so this really sucks

Old 10-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

My Roadster is an 05 with the Infinity Nav Radio and the AM reception is fair - same for the FM receptoin. Nothing outstanding, but both work fairly well.

Of course, the Roadsters use a deck-mounted antenna not that silly thing in the glass.

Remember:

1) If you can drive by an AM radio station's antenna tower and STILL not hear them - the antenna is not connected to the radio OR the radio has an internal defect. Select FM, if you can hear some stations, then the antenna IS connected.

2) If you can hear FM stations ok, but can't hear AM stations - the antenna IS connected, but either the antenna or radio are ineffective on the AM band. Those in-glass antennas are pretty poor at AM reception.

It is TOTALLY possible to have a radio that works on FM but not on AM, as the "Front ends" of the receivers are SEPARATE for AM and FM. About the only way to PROVE where the problem is, in the event you can hear FM and not AM - is to install a new antenna and see if he helps. But where would you mount a new antenna on a Coupe?

OR you could buy a new radio and try that!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-09-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the info - I kinda like the radio as is - and I can live without AM - was just wondering if everyone had a similar problem - I know we have one of the strongest stations in the midwest in Saint Louis - and I can't hear a peep.

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
My Roadster is an 05 with the Infinity Nav Radio and the AM reception is fair - same for the FM receptoin. Nothing outstanding, but both work fairly well.

Of course, the Roadsters use a deck-mounted antenna not that silly thing in the glass.

Remember:

1) If you can drive by an AM radio station's antenna tower and STILL not hear them - the antenna is not connected to the radio OR the radio has an internal defect. Select FM, if you can hear some stations, then the antenna IS connected.

2) If you can hear FM stations ok, but can't hear AM stations - the antenna IS connected, but either the antenna or radio are ineffective on the AM band. Those in-glass antennas are pretty poor at AM reception.

It is TOTALLY possible to have a radio that works on FM but not on AM, as the "Front ends" of the receivers are SEPARATE for AM and FM. About the only way to PROVE where the problem is, in the event you can hear FM and not AM - is to install a new antenna and see if he helps. But where would you mount a new antenna on a Coupe?

OR you could buy a new radio and try that!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Try turning on your rear window defroster, I know it seems crazy but when an FM station that I listen to get's iffy, I find turning on the defroster clears it up. Might help...

Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM

I have a '05 Limited Coupe, and live out in the country in Michigan, both AM and FM come in--loud and clear, no problems at all.
PS My windows a OEM no tint.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I have limo tint on the back window of my coupe and all my AM/FM stations tune in clearly

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not an answer to the question but just some more fuel for the fire.
I have rear window tint and and a pioneer head unit. I get ok am reception.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I wish I was close enough to take a look at it for you, really do.
Finding someone to work on it won't be all that easy - most mechanics are not radio guys (and I am no mechanic), all they will do is trade out the radio and antenna (after some basic checks).

Not being critical, like I say, they aren't radio guys.

ME? I'v made a living working on radio equipment for 29 years. Just can't effectively troubleshoot without being there to fiddle with it.

About tint: Some tints have a metallic ingredient, and this will mask radio reception on both AM and FM bands, altho it has been demonstrated that the effect is worse on AM. It sounds like the OEM tint does not have a metallic content, from reading the posts here.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Forum Regular

I'm about to add tints to my car. The installer was mentioning that if I want to continue to receive AM channels I should use a non-metallic tint material. SolarGard is what I am going to use. It's $15 more, but if you ever want to listen to AM, it would be necessary.

And I refuse to ruin the lines by installing an external antenna.

Just me.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Lightbulb Re: AM Radio

Yeah - my car had aftermarket tint on it when I got it. The tint does not LOOK metallic - but.....? I guess I could try the AM with the hatch open (not while driving though I guess)- That might let me know if it is the radio or the tint. ?? What you guys think?

Shawn

Originally Posted by naudi90
I'm about to add tints to my car. The installer was mentioning that if I want to continue to receive AM channels I should use a non-metallic tint material. SolarGard is what I am going to use. It's $15 more, but if you ever want to listen to AM, it would be necessary.

And I refuse to ruin the lines by installing an external antenna.

Just me.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

em,

The AM broadcast band is very low in frequency - that is, VERY LONG wavelength. I can't imagine this will tell you anything. TRY it, OF COURSE if you hear better that way then you have your answer.

But with the tint a fraction of an inch from the antenna conductor I suspect you will not notice any difference.

BUT, I do want to hear what your results are!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Pizza Guy- thanks for the info - you sound like you know what you might be talking about - (I am hoping I would sound the same talking about large electrical Generators- LOL). Are you coming to Saint Louis next year??

Em4ce

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
em,

The AM broadcast band is very low in frequency - that is, VERY LONG wavelength. I can't imagine this will tell you anything. TRY it, OF COURSE if you hear better that way then you have your answer.

But with the tint a fraction of an inch from the antenna conductor I suspect you will not notice any difference.

BUT, I do want to hear what your results are!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by emforce
Pizza Guy- thanks for the info - you sound like you know what you might be talking about - (I am hoping I would sound the same talking about large electrical Generators- LOL). Are you coming to Saint Louis next year??

Em4ce
I am PLANNING on being there - I am on the list and barring any personal, family or professional emergencies I will be there.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem about 1 1/2 years ago AM just stopped working while FM was fine - turned out to be an AM signal amplifier quit working. Replaced by the dealer under warranty (my only warranty issue after 2 1/2 years and 28K miles) has worked fine since. If interested I will pull the service bill and send you the part number/information.

Don't know about the tint effect - but if all the stations are totally dead before you rip off the tint look into the amplifer - maybe test the tint effect with a temporary antennna or try the AM radio with the hatch and side windows open.

The following users liked this post:
crsfiredup (09-14-2021)