View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
JaneBridges
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with Racing

Les is right, work up to the Lambo. There was a Lambo at Putnam Park recently. It was too much for the driver. Faster isn't always better, cause on closed tracks, you have to slow down to make turns. Skills are better than having speed.

Having affordable parts is really important. In fact, I worry about that issue with the Crossfire, but so far, I've been OK. Also, certain cars need to be trailered to the track, so that means a truck and trailer, too. More money. When I had a crew chief for mid-Ohio, I had to pay all of his expenses, too. All of this adds up. That is why I have to give lectures and work as a consultant to make the extra money to support this habit. And trust me, I really don't splurge, except when it comes to tires and my safety.

You need to get your racing license, so start with driver's ed and a lot of them. NASA has the path to train you for racing and will help you get your license to race and may be more affordable than doing a lot of Skip Barber's.

I'm a physician. You need to focus on your career, first, cause we don't like stupid surgeons who are distracted by their hobbies. Racing will come later, but while you are in training, you could be getting a lot of driver's ed under your belt.
Read books on racing as well, especially the Physics of Racing. Google NASA so you can get more of an idea about what is required to race on circuits. They have all different classes of racing, from Spec Miata to American Iron. Your pick.

Now for LeMans, why don't you have fun and do some 24 hours of LeMons or Chump car racing. You can do this now. I will be driving with a team next April at Putnam Park. It is 24 hours of driving a car valued at less than $500.00 (a total piece of $hit.) It is totally fun. Get on some of these teams to learn to work with a team, race and just have a lot of fun. Google 24 hours of LeMons and Chumpcar racing for races near you.

You must be some Doogie Houser, cause most young "general" surgeons will be about 31 when they are done with their general surgery residency, which doesn't include any fellowships/subspecialties in surgery. Having time during your training to race will be very limited. Racing at the track comes when you are established and have the extra money to throw at it.

Good luck, young friend. Have your dreams; set your priorities; be patient.

Jane M. Bridges, MD