Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Help with Racing

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Racing

Hey guys,

So when I'm done with college, sometime in the later years of my life, maybe when I'm 25ish, I want to start racing. So I thought I would ask some of you race guys some questions. What kinds of races to you guys do? I want to race on a closed circuit track against other people, not just going through a track alone trying to get a good time. And I'm not interested in drag racing. My mechanics teacher has a 69' supercharged Camaro and he races on closed circuit tracks against other people, but he pays a good amount to enter each race. Do you guys do that? Are any of you sponsored by a company or something like that? I posted the American Le Mans post a while back and some of you guys gave me some tips, but I want to see what kinds of races you guys do.Any help/advice/info would be great!

-Sam

Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Help with Racing

I would suggest the Spec Miata class. This is a cheap form of racing that is very fun and you can tear up a Miata instead of a nice Crossfire.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Forum Regular

I know you only asked for advice from guys, but I'll tell you what I do. Unfortunately, I'm tearing up a Crossfire, but the Spec Miata class is a very interesting class of racing and a good suggestion.

Before you can "race," you need to learn how to drive on a track. It sounds like you aren't interested in autocross, so road racing is your best option. To develop your skills, you need to find your local tracks and determine in they have High Perfomance Driver's Ed programs. These HPDE's are conducted by Porsche Car Clubs, NASA, BMW's, Viper, Vette and other clubs like 10/10ths Motorsports. They provide instructors, which I suggest you utilize. Before you begin to "race", you need to know what you are doing on the track so you don't trash someone else's really expensive car because you didn't have the experience. These HPDE's are usually two day programs and will cost around $300-400/event. This won't include your hotel stay, food, and tires, etc. If you are not a naturally born racer, then utilize the instructors. NASA has a path to train you to "race." NASA is pretty radical and aggressive; I sure did get some ***** driving with them. Most people are not sponsored. However, there are some amazing set ups, but again, these people just have money.

Now for your car. There are a few things you need to do before you drive a track. Take it from me, I've burned up a lot of brakes (cooked em, fried um real bad.) Minimum mods: metal brake lines, Motul 600 brake fuid, Porterfield racing pads. I've trashed Hawks, EBC and my stocks. Love the Porterfields. Tires: Minimum PS2's, but if you've got money, Michelin Pro Sport Cups for sticking power. Let air out of your tires, because they will gain 4-7 psi/25-30 minute session. These mods, esp. the brakes, are really important.
Other mods as you get money: Harnesses help keep you in your seat and help you relax, but a CG lock on both sides is a minimum. You must have identical restraints for driver and passenger. If you have a Coupe, won't need a roll bar, but you could consider that. Don't even think about racing a roadster as it is hard to meet their demands and requirements. A cold air intake allows people to hear your car and does give a bit more horsepower.
Lower your car. When you do, you'll need to beat out the inside of the tire wells as you'll find your tires to rub a lot. We used KW's and Koni's to lower and tighten suspension. For big brakes for racing, Stop techs are great. But, NOOOOO spacers.
Other equiptment: racing jack, torque wrench to "torque your nuts", tools to change your tires.
If you plan to race your Crossfire, no whining when you get little dings in your car. If you are using a Crossfire, you can't expect it to stay pristine cause you'll be hit by marbles (rubber pellets), mud, oil and all other kinds of crap. If you crash or wreck, your usual insurance won't cover your racing or driver's ed program. So, I have another insurance policy to cover me while doing driver's ed. There are policies for true "racing" also.

I'm sure you know all of this, but sure wish I had someone to tell me what I needed to know to get started. I had to learn the hard way. Of course, being a female was at times helpful because I found that lots of people are willing to help, until you start to pass them on the track. ha Ha.

If you see other people on this forum that are road racers (drivers), go to their tracks and watch them; ride along if you can and see what this culture is all about.

Good luck and I applaud you if you read this entire thread.

Jane

Last edited by JaneBridges; 10-09-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks Jane. That was excellent information for us novices.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JaneBridges
... I sure did get some *****...

Jane
That would make you one of the guys

Anyway, listen to her, she has learned it the hard way which is often the best way and certainly a lesson to learn from. One of these day's I'm going to get to see her in action.

(see you later this month Jane...you better have those wheels looking pretty )

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Wow Jane, the best advice in one post I have seen!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, Guys. Not sure is Samo59 has read it yet, but we'll see.

I could write more, but we'll let him ask more questions if he has them.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have nothing to add. See Jane's post.

Les

Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Listen to the girl. she knows more than us guys!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

very well stated Jane....so, I will just add this, get a grt job when you finish college, 'cause none of those parts are cheap....good luck...

Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Wow Jane thank you so much, that was amazing! Haha, sry when I say guys I just refer to the general population, so in no way was I just asking help from just guys, my fault for any misunderstanding. You've given me a lot of help/adive, and I did read the entire thread haha. I'm mostly interested in competivite racing against other people at the same time, autocross is timed track laps alone isnt it? What I want to get into is the Le Mans, which I posted about a while back, or at least that type of racing. Does that make sense? Is that semi-pro racing or no? I don't plan on using my crossfire but your modification paragraph is universal to any car you want to race. I guess I might as well tell you what I am planning to do. To comment on oledoc2u's comment on getting a good job after college, I am working on that haha. I want to be a surgeon actualy, so I plan to get racing sometime later, not necessarily now, but I need some help figuring out what I'm gonna do when I get there. When I start I may just use my Crossfire for a while. What I am planning to do with the racing is that I want to buy a salvage Lamborghini, Gallardo preferably, that has been hit from the front, no engine damage. I found a website advertising these for like $25,000. From there, I want to get it repaired and modified for racing. But then I dont know what to do from there. I absolutely will go to a couple racing schools and programs like NASA that you listed, schools like Skip Barber, etc, for sure no doubt. I know that is important. And then I'm guessing I will do autocross for a while, but where would I go to compete with other racers at the same time on a track, kind of like Le Mans racing? And I hope this doesnt sound like I'm full of it and just want to spend money in the future, or that I'm not serious about his, beacuse this does means a lot to me and I would never act that way. For anyone who reads the entire book that I just wrote above, thanks so much, I really appreciate your help/advice everyone!

-Sam

Last edited by samo59; 10-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 PM

No no young one. Don't get a car with no parts availability. Your thinking the most expensive hardest way possible. Get an old VW or Miata or Honda or even a Mustang for that matter. Something to learn on that has cheap plentiful parts everywhere. After that .... well follow your dreams of a crashed Lambo. If you buy that Lambo now you will most likely burn all your money and never race it.

Les

Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular

Les is right, work up to the Lambo. There was a Lambo at Putnam Park recently. It was too much for the driver. Faster isn't always better, cause on closed tracks, you have to slow down to make turns. Skills are better than having speed.

Having affordable parts is really important. In fact, I worry about that issue with the Crossfire, but so far, I've been OK. Also, certain cars need to be trailered to the track, so that means a truck and trailer, too. More money. When I had a crew chief for mid-Ohio, I had to pay all of his expenses, too. All of this adds up. That is why I have to give lectures and work as a consultant to make the extra money to support this habit. And trust me, I really don't splurge, except when it comes to tires and my safety.

You need to get your racing license, so start with driver's ed and a lot of them. NASA has the path to train you for racing and will help you get your license to race and may be more affordable than doing a lot of Skip Barber's.

I'm a physician. You need to focus on your career, first, cause we don't like stupid surgeons who are distracted by their hobbies. Racing will come later, but while you are in training, you could be getting a lot of driver's ed under your belt.
Read books on racing as well, especially the Physics of Racing. Google NASA so you can get more of an idea about what is required to race on circuits. They have all different classes of racing, from Spec Miata to American Iron. Your pick.

Now for LeMans, why don't you have fun and do some 24 hours of LeMons or Chump car racing. You can do this now. I will be driving with a team next April at Putnam Park. It is 24 hours of driving a car valued at less than $500.00 (a total piece of $hit.) It is totally fun. Get on some of these teams to learn to work with a team, race and just have a lot of fun. Google 24 hours of LeMons and Chumpcar racing for races near you.

You must be some Doogie Houser, cause most young "general" surgeons will be about 31 when they are done with their general surgery residency, which doesn't include any fellowships/subspecialties in surgery. Having time during your training to race will be very limited. Racing at the track comes when you are established and have the extra money to throw at it.

Good luck, young friend. Have your dreams; set your priorities; be patient.

Jane M. Bridges, MD

Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM

A Lambo showed up late at the track so he couldn't get into the center section where the race cars were. He jumped the fence and crossed the race track in his yellow to the knee shorts and yellow flip flops to find someone in charge to complain to. You don't want a Lambo. Too much bad rep. from the other Lambo owners for you to overcome. Or do you already drive in yellow flip flops? I love Lambo's but ...... just say no for now.

Les

Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I was about to comment on being young and having dreams, but again, Jane summed it well. When I was very young, I was exposed to motorcycle racing. I started at 5 yrs old with a mini bike. I had a grt Dad...LOL...anyway, that lead to more motorcycles over the yrs as I got older and higher classes faster cycles. Eventually, it grew to road racing...At 18 yrs old, I had 13 yrs of experience. But in 1972, there wasn't any press, or real sponsors, so you had to go it alone. I then moved to cars, drag racing first, then hobby stocks on dirts tracks at first, later asphalt. Now mind you, I am single no real responsibilities, the crew didn't get paid, shared trailer, etc. Today, I couldn't begin to afford racing without sponsors, and the tech, safety inspections are a lot more critical than in my day. So, as Jane stated, career first, but if racing is what you want to do, then start small, go carts, especially shifter carts, will get you to over 100 mph with your butt 2" off the ground...good luck my young friend, but I want you focused if you are putting a stint in my old @ss LOL

Old 10-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Wow, all this amazing advice has hit me like a brick wall, in a good way ofcourse! There are so many small things I overlooked and areas that I need to focus on. "Skills are better than having speed." I think thats awesome Jane! But I'm no Doogie Houser haha. I'm only 19 and still in Pre-Med. I will finish pre-med when I"m 22, no later than 23 and start med school then, so I'll probably be done when I'm 30...im really hoping haha, so I dont know if you would say I'm ahead of the game in that area. But I dont mind, a lot of the Le Mans champions are in their mid-forties. But I agree with everything you are saying. Start small, with everything I do. So here is my new plan. I'll read and learn as much about racing now while in pre-med without driving. Once I get into med-school, the free time I have, I will use that on training/drivers ed/racing license and schools like NASA, as Jane mentioned. Hopefully towards the end of med-school I'll buy another car and start racing a few small things like autocross, etc. and as I get more experience and save more money, I'll upgrade to the Lambo or the likes. Man everyone who helped me out in this thread, you are awesome! Now I know how I'm going to approach my racing goal. Jane, thanks so much, you answered all my questions and more! I can't thank you guys(including Jane haha) enough!

-Sam

Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm glad your open to advice. I'm ahem "older" and always wanted to race around a track. When i bought the SRT-6 I thought it was the perfect car for having fun at the track and it is. However, now that I'm doing minor race mods it I've run into a little problem. I love the car too much to cut it up. Now I find myself looking at the classifieds for good platforms to put a roll cage in, that have plenty of inexpensive parts available etc. Better still, one already built and a seller that needs to sell.

Let's recap what I've spent. Used Koni's $500, Eibachs Springs $245, Stainless brake lines, ATE Blue and Porterfield Pads $400, Strut bar $250, Adjustable camber arms and bolts $300.00, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups all around $1500, Dashdaq and Zietronix Wideband $750, Needswings Intake $400, Code3 Pulley $600 and a few things I've forgotten. Those prices don't include Shipping to P.R. Now take a look in the race car classifieds. See what we mean?

Les

Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Oh yea, absolutely. I don't want to use my crossfire for racing and I've never been the one to spend money. I'm actually very good at saving money so I'm always looking at ways to cut costs. There were a lot of little things that I didn't know prior to this post that I do know now that will save me a lot of money in the future, such as starting small, and for that I'm truly thankful to all who helped me out haha!

-Sam

Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a great read and super advice for a young man with dreams and goals. It is great that at 19 you have such a clear vision of what you want to do with your life. Stay focused on that primary goal and the rest will take care of itself.Jane and Doc...see ya at the Dragon!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks so much Bigkid, that means so much to me! I really appreciate this whole forum for all the wisdom that everybody is willing to share with one another. I'm actually gonna print this post and read it whenever I feel like I'm lost in what I'm supposed to be doing next haha. Thanks again for all who helped me out!

-Sam