View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Acrid smell at high speed/RPM

i tend to get around 22 mpg combined mileage in mine. that's without trying to be as easy on the accelerator as i would if i were not having any fun at all. i recorded 25 mph on interstate driving at around 70-75 mph when it was new. that mileage should improve since the car has a few thousand miles on it now.

many, if not most drivers today are not getting the epa estimated mileage in their vehicles. there are a variety of reasons, some of which include personal driving habits. but also the test methodology used by the epa isn't necessarily representative of city or highway driving. for example, in real city traffic you might wait 3 minutes at a light. the epa doesn't simulate such long stops. instead, the stops are much shorter, and the average speed is 21.2 mph. the city profile also includes a brief top speed of close to 60 mph. these factors are not typical of what you'll find driving in congested urban areas. so, it might be hard to achieve the rated city mileage.

for calculating highway mileage, we usually think of interstate driving at 65mph (or more). in the epa's dynamometer test for highway mileage, the vehicle never goes over 60 mph, and averages just 48.3 mph, and includes an initial vehicle start and ends with a stop. if you're driving down the highway at more than 65 mph it may be impossible to achieve the highway estimates as well. keep in mind that that the crossfire's good looks are for aesthetics; the high drag coefficient will kill your mileage at high speeds.

also, note that for the tests the ac is off!!!

here you go:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Last edited by Rob M; 02-03-2005 at 07:08 PM.