View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
offdutyagain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailering a Crossfire

I rented a u-haul car carrier when I went to Florida to pick up the wife's car last month. Couple of things. I took some 2x8's with me to decrease the angle of the trailer ramps. I ended up not using them as I was able to use the dealers landscaping to help load the car. When I returned and had it in the driveway, I did stick the 2x8's under the ramp to decrease angle. I didn't experience any problem. Just take your time. AND watch opening the door when the car is on the trailer. Clearance is TIGHT.

The wheel straps worked well and I made sure to place the chains on the factory tie-down hooks. The biggest problem will be accessing the front hook. The hook is buried behind the front fascia and is difficult to reach. THEREFORE, I ended up placing the chain LOOSELY around the lower A-arm. The rear chain I placed on the tie-down hook. I felt the straps would keep the vehicle from moving forward, but the rear chain was absolutely critical to keep the car from moving backward (and possibly off the trailer).

One more thing...I used U-haul's web reservation system to try and reserve the trailer. The website quoted me a one-way rental of $405.00. I went to my local U-Haul center and they rented me the same unit for the daily rate and the total charge was less than half. True, I did have to take the trailer to Florida with me, but it is heavy enough that I didn't hear it bouncing around and the savings was substantial, not to mention trying to find a U-Haul dealer in a strange city.

By the way, I towed the unit with a Ford F-250 Supercab diesel. No problems either way. 17 hours down...17 hours back.

Hope this helps.