Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Bazzer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I'd like to no know more about the article...favorable or not....
By the time I set up my scanner it would be quicker to type it out, so here goes;

'Chrysler Crossfire.

These were never a common site on the roads, and with the models demise in 2008 will only get scarcer. That could be a plus-point if you like being different but it highlights the fact that the car never found a large market when it was new. On paper it should have done - Mercedes SLK underpinnings were teamed with dashing American styling cues and a muscular V6 engine. But critics were sniffy about the driving experience, which was (deliberately) more GT than sports car, and the interior was a missed oppurtunity: too much silver plastic and not enough room.

A year after the Crossfire coupe appeared in 2003, the Roadster arrived and made rather more sense. A roofless Crossfire makes a more natural cruiser, so the dynamic shortcomings weren't so noticeable, and the looks were perhaps easier on the eye with the roof down. These are now on sale from £7000, or about a grand more than the cheapest coupes.

Depreciation has made the Crossfire a real temptation, as the Mercedes mechanicals mean reliability and power - 0-60 in 6.5s or 5.1s if you can find a rare SRT supercharged version.

For: Gets fewer rude hand gestures than an Audi TT.
Against: The American bits are the bad bits.
Verdict: A better prospect now than when new.

Last edited by Bazzer; 06-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.