U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

The Chrysler Crossfire is featured in June's edition of 'Classic American' car magazine in an article titled 'Bargain British Yanks'.

Having a mild interest in American Muscle cars, I flicked through a copy of the magazine whilst killing time in WH Smiths and decided to buy it. If you want a copy you'll have to be quick as the July edition comes out on 17th June.

Just thought I'd share with you in case your interested.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

I'd like to no know more about the article...favorable or not....

Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I'd like to no know more about the article...favorable or not....
By the time I set up my scanner it would be quicker to type it out, so here goes;

'Chrysler Crossfire.

These were never a common site on the roads, and with the models demise in 2008 will only get scarcer. That could be a plus-point if you like being different but it highlights the fact that the car never found a large market when it was new. On paper it should have done - Mercedes SLK underpinnings were teamed with dashing American styling cues and a muscular V6 engine. But critics were sniffy about the driving experience, which was (deliberately) more GT than sports car, and the interior was a missed oppurtunity: too much silver plastic and not enough room.

A year after the Crossfire coupe appeared in 2003, the Roadster arrived and made rather more sense. A roofless Crossfire makes a more natural cruiser, so the dynamic shortcomings weren't so noticeable, and the looks were perhaps easier on the eye with the roof down. These are now on sale from £7000, or about a grand more than the cheapest coupes.

Depreciation has made the Crossfire a real temptation, as the Mercedes mechanicals mean reliability and power - 0-60 in 6.5s or 5.1s if you can find a rare SRT supercharged version.

For: Gets fewer rude hand gestures than an Audi TT.
Against: The American bits are the bad bits.
Verdict: A better prospect now than when new.

Last edited by Bazzer; 06-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

orderedmy copy just now E5.99 that is about $6.00 usd sometimes like to see what others have to say about different cars. jim

Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

Bazzer-thanks!

A couple of points I would like to throw out there:

1) Not enough room? I drove an S2000, G35, 350Z, Boxer and Z4 before I decided on the Mercedes/Chrysler product. There is little comparison for room. I'm rather large: 6'2" 230 lbs.

2) Why (and how) do British reviewers always have a negative view on American autos? Electronics seem to be a favorite victim. This from a country that produced exactly zero cars pre-1990 (and less than 100K pounds Sterling!) that didn't have a 50/50 chance of succumbing mortally to an electrical fire?

I'm sorry-I just had to vent. Do you watch "Wheeler Dealers"? It's on BBC America here and has become one of my favorites. Mike on that show was resurrecting a 1985 C4 Corvette and the first thing he commented on were the "dodgy American electrics". The dash display was out. I think that model was one of the first to sport an electro-fluorescent dash display. It was neat, but it did have problems.

I'll admit that most Americans can't resist saying unkind things about English cooking. I'm not among them. My stepdad was from Stoke-on-Trent and I grew up, even in the 'states, on lamb, roasted potatoes and mushy peas.

Now I'm hungry-going to make breakfast for the wife!

Thanks again for transcribing the article for us!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Bazzer-thanks!

1) Not enough room? I drove an S2000, G35, 350Z, Boxer and Z4 before I decided on the Mercedes/Chrysler product. There is little comparison for room. I'm rather large: 6'2" 230 lbs.

2) Why (and how) do British reviewers always have a negative view on American autos? Electronics seem to be a favorite victim. This from a country that produced exactly zero cars pre-1990 (and less than 100K pounds Sterling!) that didn't have a 50/50 chance of succumbing mortally to an electrical fire?

I'm sorry-I just had to vent. Do you watch "Wheeler Dealers"? It's on BBC America here and has become one of my favorites. Mike on that show was resurrecting a 1985 C4 Corvette and the first thing he commented on were the "dodgy American electrics". The dash display was out. I think that model was one of the first to sport an electro-fluorescent dash display. It was neat, but it did have problems.

I'll admit that most Americans can't resist saying unkind things about English cooking. I'm not among them. My stepdad was from Stoke-on-Trent and I grew up, even in the 'states, on lamb, roasted potatoes and mushy peas.

Your very welcome.

1. Regards the room, I find it plentiful and can easily pack two suitcases (Crossfire Suitcases) and two bags (Crossfire bags) in the trunk. The only thing it lacks in my opinion is a decent cup holder.

2. I'm not sure why the British motoring press have negative views on the American Car. I personally love the Ford Mustang, the Dodge Viper and the Corvette Z06 and would rather have any of the above over a european sports car. You cant sustitute for cubic inches.

Regards the food, I love eating out in America, (Smith & Wollenski's in New York is up there with the best) and have even bought the wife an American Cook book. A Sunday roast is a very traditional english sunday meal, but me, I'd rather New York chicken wrapped in bacon and smoothered in Montery Jack cheese and barbeque sauce.

My mid-afternoon bluberry muffin and coffee just went done nicely.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazzer
Your very welcome.

1. Regards the room, I find it plentiful and can easily pack two suitcases (Crossfire Suitcases) and two bags (Crossfire bags) in the trunk. The only thing it lacks in my opinion is a decent cup holder.

2. I'm not sure why the British motoring press have negative views on the American Car. I personally love the Ford Mustang, the Dodge Viper and the Corvette Z06 and would rather have any of the above over a european sports car. You cant sustitute for cubic inches.

Regards the food, I love eating out in America, (Smith & Wollenski's in New York is up there with the best) and have even bought the wife an American Cook book. A Sunday roast is a very traditional english sunday meal, but me, I'd rather New York chicken wrapped in bacon and smoothered in Montery Jack cheese and barbeque sauce.

My mid-afternoon bluberry muffin and coffee just went done nicely.
Life can be pretty odd. One always goes for the exotic. Or, at least, the different!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 514 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Bazzer-thanks!

The english disching "electronics" That is almost hilarious.
Of course we all know the lengendary reliability of Britsh cars, particularlyu their electrical systems.

Anyone ever own a Jag or and MG?

roadster with a stick

Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, what we get over here is pitiful compared to what is available your side of the Atlantic.

UK: Chrysler UK - Home - 300C and Grand Voyager
USA: Official Chrysler Site - Autos, Cars, Minivans, Convertibles, Sedans, Crossovers - 300C, Town & Country, Sebring, PT Cruiser

UK: Chevrolet Home - New and used cars, offers, service and accessories - Chevrolet UK - Spark, Matiz, Aveo, etc. - not a very inspiring line up.
USA: Chevrolet Home - New and used cars, offers, service and accessories - Chevrolet UK - A huge range including Camero, Corvette

UK: Dodge UK - Home - Journey. That is all.
USA: Official Dodge Site - New Autos, Trucks, Minivans, SUVs, Cars, Wagons - loads, Challenger, Charger amongst many…

The problem is that these companies have all made, or make, iconic cars - cars we over here know about, and I bet many would love to get their hands on. I’ve seen a new Challenger, which was clearly an import, but what is officially available here is, sadly, derisible. I think there is a fair amount of jealousy from the journos - they know WHAT is available, but sadly they know that the most they can expect over here is a bottom of the range hatchback, dodgy wiring and all.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

Good Lord, the Brits complaining about vehicle electronics. Give me a break. God knows early and even recent Jags and Astons etc. are the electronic benchmark. LOL!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

By the time I set up my scanner it would be quicker to type it out, so here goes;

For: Gets fewer rude hand gestures than an Audi TT.
Against: The American bits are the bad bits.
Verdict: A better prospect now than when new.
What parts are American?
He must think the cup holder was American made.
As for electrics, what about Lucas the `Prince of Darkness'.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Cool Re: Crossfire in Classic American car magazine

Ok, I have to jump in..... I have owned 1) '88 Jag XJSC 2) '93, '97, '03, 05 Jaguar XJ's 3) '09 XF 4) '00 XKR, '03 XKR , '07XK Jaguars are great cars, but I turned in my '07 XK for my 2005 SRT6 roadster from a mid West dealer that couldn't get rid of it until I came along in '08. At less than 1/2 the original price it came in at about 1/4 of the price of my '07 XK... The SRT6 is generally more fun all around!!! ---Still have the '09 XF supercharged Jaguar---It ain't my father's JAGUAR... They all have their pluses and minuses....

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM

The 'dissing' of American cars is more a standing joke than anything. For years, American cars would not sell in Europe as they could not compare with the quality of German offerings by in large. However, I agree; Brits talking about reliability is a bit rich - added to that, American cars have come a long way. Remember, even Top Gear loved the new Corvette's and they did a feature on American muscle cars and loved the whole lot.

The article here is wide of the mark but British 'fun-making' of American cars should be taken with a pinch of salt. Deep down - everyone loves some muscle (ooh errr; that's not intended how it sounds)

Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What parts are American?
I wondered that, unless they have a general beef about the marque.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an old joke that fit's well here...

Why do the English like warm beer?
Because they have Lucas refrigerators.