Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM
oledoc2u
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

Originally Posted by hglad
New Guy post for what it's worth!!
Camshaft sensor on my none Srt is on the passenger side front of the block.
Learning the position of the crank and cam sensors were the first lessons I learned with my new Crossfire. (Very early 2004 Coupe 5speed)
On my maiden voyage after the test drives, a good shake down jaunt, and the $$$ had changed hands we headed for home on a beautiful hot August Saturday afternoon. Decided to take the scenic route from Portland, OR to home in Yakima, WA. Distance is right at 200 miles. It was a beautiful drive up around Mt. Hood, lots of twisty bits and moderate traffic, then dropping down into the Columbia Gorge at Hood River. Just as the tires hit I 84 the CEL lit. There was no change in the behavior of the car, the temp was normal, no good place to stop so I motored on. The Dalles was the next town about 28 miles east. Pulled into the Chrysler dealership there even though I knew it was closed.
Yakima was still close to 100 miles away. Walked to a near by Dairy queen to contemplate what to do, and settled in for a Pepsi and a berger. Walked back to the car. Checked under the hood for obvious problems. Checked oil and tranny fluid levels. Nothing looked or smelled out of line. Loosened the gas cap and put it back on. Started the engine the CEL was still lit. Took it for a spin. Ran fine.
Now I've owned more than my share of Jaguars over the years, most way before the CEL, and I have been lucky enough to drive quite a few miles with the dam thing lit with out serious consequences so I called my "Ever loving" and told her, "If you don't see the Crossfire in the driveway in 2.5 hours call and send a tow truck south on Hwy 97 looking for us on the side of the road".
Made it to Yakima. Stopped at Autozone to get the code read: Cam sensor error. Made an appointment with the Mercedes dealer to check out the problem and give the car a once over. Picked up the car they every thing fine and Crank Sensor had been replaced. Left the dealer as they were closing and headed home. Stopped to pick up some things at the store. Returned to the car hit the starter button and heard a gawd awful noise. Turned the key off and hit the start again same ugly sound. Phoned the dealer and had the car towed back to their place. The next day I went to pick up the car and they had replaced the Cam Sensor. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.
Had a long talk with the service manager. In short his explanation was that in the earlier cars the Crank and Cam sensors are on the same circuit and that they used to replace both even though one went bad.
Would be curious to know if this has any credence at all.
welcome aboard, and it will be next weekend before we know. I leave Tuesday, and will not be back until very late Friday....parts and scanner should have arrived by then, and we shall see....I know the cam sensor is up front somewhere, just haven't found it yet. But, we do have a new one on the way. I haven't read the codes yet, so, it could be something else. But, from experience on here, it probably is. Although it does smooth out with throttle...so throttle control module, or sprint booster, I just don't know right now...