Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

took the cars out for a run today. Second time launch on the roadster, she fell on it's nose and started running rough, not hitting on the cylinders...just like a timing problem. I am figuring the cam shaft sensor has went bad...I didn't think they did this while running down the road, but today it did...what do you guys think before I tear into her this weekend?

Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

How do you know it's the CPS-Cam Position Sensor and not the CPS-Crank Position Sensor Doc?

Got code?

Nice to have a backup piece, I mean car, isn't it!?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fortunately when the Crankshaft Position Sensor acts up, it just causes a problem starting.... I had that happen last year at the track when I was in line and went to re-start the car... started and ran real rough so I turned it off and re-started.... it did the same thing and I gave it some gas and it cleared up... I didnt see the CEL and made TWO runs after that with no issues before I saw the CEL and quit...the CEL cleared when I started it up to go home, but I let anyway.... the OBDII showed a P0335 when I got home....

Did you get a CEL and what code if so? I think your on the right track with the Camshaft Position Sensor...

Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
How do you know it's the CPS-Cam Position Sensor and not the CPS-Crank Position Sensor Doc?

Got code?

Nice to have a backup piece, I mean car, isn't it!?
loaned the code reader out, was thinking about ordering a new code reader along with the camshaft sensor. I don't know if it is the camshaft sensor yet. I have a couple of crank position sensors on the shelf. I could go ahead and replace it this evening, needs to be update anyway. What do you know about Equus model #3160 diagnostic scanners? It is ABS/OBD2 ready. Back to the car. I launched really hard, hit second fell on its nose, could hear engine change sound and power drop. Slowed down, she would cut in and out, not idle smoothly at all, missfiring all the way back to the driveway. I restarted it awhile ago, after it cooled down a bit, and it is still idling rough.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Doc,
That should be the same one I have.... Innova 3130... I believe the last two digits just identify what options you get with it... it works very good and you can do a SHORT data log with it....

Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Doc,
That should be the same one I have.... Innova 3130... I believe the last two digits just identify what options you get with it... it works very good and you can do a SHORT data log with it....
thanks Mike...I just have a very simple old code reader and have been looking for an excuse to upgrade...I think I will order this model to have on hand...sounds like my luck has ran out...no biggy, I have been fortunate not to had any problems until now. I was looking to replace the crankshaft sensor, since I am tearing into her. I have them on hand. Thought I would try that before ordering the Camshaft sensor...any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Doc, it wont hurt if you change it... but I dont think it will fix your problem (I could be wrong)...

I like the Innova 3130 reader.... easy to use, displays the code numbers and tells you what it means, gives you all the engine data at the time of the code, has a PCLink program so you can dump the reader data into your PC and keep records on issues and fixes...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Doc, it wont hurt if you change it... but I dont think it will fix your problem (I could be wrong)...

I like the Innova 3130 reader.... easy to use, displays the code numbers and tells you what it means, gives you all the engine data at the time of the code, has a PCLink program so you can dump the reader data into your PC and keep records on issues and fixes...
this model comes with the software, under $200 on sale...ya, I am still thinking camshaft sensor, but might as well do this as well...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

If you get multiple cyclinder missfire, it could be cause it was not up to the second temp bar on the engine. I have a 180 stat and when I punch it cold the car runs ok unless Iam on the throttle full bore for over about 3 seconds, then sputter and light. Woody

Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don;t know about the SRT6 , But mine did this about two years ago and it was a MAF , Been running fine after being replaced !

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 PM

SRT does not have a MAF....... only MAP...

Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 PM

we will have to figure it out tomorrow...no way to get code without my reader, I will track it down tomorrow. Too hot out there tonight. I ordered a new scanner, since it looks like it's my turn to start replacing sensors...lol
I have went a long time without any trouble, so I can't complain. Working in tight quarters in the garage, I counldn't see what I was doing, so we will get her out early in the morning to have some room to work. I couldn't see where the camshaft sensor is located, but we will find it in the daylight. Going to replace crankshaft sensor first. I may even change the oil while under there...do it all...lol

Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doc, do yourself a favor, and remove the heat shield behind the crankshaft sensor (2 bolts) before trying to remove the CPS. It will make the job much easier.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Doc, do yourself a favor, and remove the heat shield behind the crankshaft sensor (2 bolts) before trying to remove the CPS. It will make the job much easier.
yes, I can't see anything out there working with just a shop light. Getting old I quess. I will remove the shield for sure. I am still thinking camshaft sensor...we shall see...hopefully I can find one on a Sunday, but, if we don't, no big deal, there's always next weekend....just want to have done. First time I have driven her since the CAA meet. It wasn't running as well then either. I thought it was just the heat. I quess I know better now. Glad it did it a few miles from home....lol

Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 PM

Yes, that heat shield is a nuisance... I left mine off.....

The camshaft sensor is on the front and MUCH easier to get at.... (though the Crank sensor is pretty easy, just not the best loction)

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Yes, that heat shield is a nuisance... I left mine off.....

The camshaft sensor is on the front and MUCH easier to get at.... (though the Crank sensor is pretty easy, just not the best loction)
The location sucks big time when working in the driveway.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
The location sucks big time when working in the driveway.
Sorry you are having some issues, Doc, must be nice to have 2 though LOL

If you need a nice garage to come work in, mine is finally done. I ended up putting 6 pairs of 4ft 6.5K fluorscents all the way around, plenty of light here

Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Sorry you are having some issues, Doc, must be nice to have 2 though LOL

If you need a nice garage to come work in, mine is finally done. I ended up putting 6 pairs of 4ft 6.5K fluorscents all the way around, plenty of light here
thanks Johnny, I just need to find the dag gone thing...lol...she is down there.......

Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Doc, I wont mess with your thread with a rude comment......

The Crank sensor is really pretty easy to get at once you get that stupid heat shield off.... even in the driveway.... I guess if you have short arms and/or big hands it would be more of a pain....(not commenting on any physical limitations you may have)...... you did take the intake off didnt you???

Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Doc, I wont mess with your thread with a rude comment......

The Crank sensor is really pretty easy to get at once you get that stupid heat shield off.... even in the driveway.... I guess if you have short arms and/or big hands it would be more of a pain....(not commenting on any physical limitations you may have)...... you did take the intake off didnt you???
Don't worry I read it that way too....lol...I have to go get a star socket. I don't have anything that small. Just don't move or I should say, can get into those positions anymore like I use to...lol...and yes, you can comment on that as well...we have it...just not the right tools...that was my problem in the dark last night, not using the right tool...this just keeps getting worse....anyway, off to sears...I need to update some tools anyway...and it looks like everything is star...and I do have short arms and bigs hands...thanks for noticing there big guy....

Quick Reply: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think