Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Don't worry I read it that way too....lol...I have to go get a star socket. I don't have anything that small. Just don't move or I should say, can get into those positions anymore like I use to...lol...and yes, you can comment on that as well...we have it...just not the right tools...that was my problem in the dark last night, not using the right tool...this just keeps getting worse....anyway, off to sears...I need to update some tools anyway...and it looks like everything is star...and I do have short arms and bigs hands...thanks for noticing there big guy....
My dual cai is off...and I could see it plainly then...you know you are getting old when everything you say has a sexual content to it...or maybe we are just frustrated at this age...anyway, off to Sears...thanks, man...I hope the camshaft sensor is easier than this baby for the old guy...lol

Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doc, I have an Actron code reader if it would help.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Doc, I have an Actron code reader if it would help.
Thanks Larry...I loaned mine out, and I need to change the crankshaft sensor anyway. If it cures the problem, then great...if not, I should have my code reader back by the end of the day. I also just ordered a new scanner that will be here in a few days...I am off to find a new star set of sockets. All mine are for bigger work. I need a small set to work on this baby. Can't complain...this is the first problem to show up on the roadster since I have owned her. She wasn't running well at the CAA, but I thought it was the heat. She has been parked since then. I got it out yesterday for a photo shoot my son was doing, and just took it down the road and back, and boom. Fell flat on it's face...now we know...thanks for the offer, hope everything is well on your end...thanks everyone for your help. Should have it done and see if this was the problem, soon....

Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doc, I bought deepwell star sockets from Harbor frieght to do the CPS change. I didn't have to take the heat shield off that way. Only problem was that the sockets are taiwan crap but cheap, I couldn't find deepwell's at my sears. By the way did you see the little video of your black beauty running at gateway, (it's only a few seconds long)?

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 08-15-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Doc, I bought deepwell star sockets from Harbor frieght to do the CPS change. I didn't have to take the heat shield off that way. Only problem was that the sockets are taiwan crap but cheap, I couldn't find deepwell's at my sears. By the way did you see the little video of your black beauty running at gateway, (it's only a few seconds long)?
no deep wells, but it is working just fine even with the heat shield in place. I haven't seen the video, but I am thinking maybe it wasn't the heat that had the roadster not running quite right. I came home put her in the garage after the CAA and haven't driven it since. I was driving the coupe. I didn't get 2 miles when this happened. Guess I got lucky it didn't happen sooner. She has studdered a few start ups before CAA, but it isn't driven that much, so I did not think much of it. I think it was a warning sign I did not heed. Anyway, ready to install the new one. I will let you all know if this was the problem.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
no deep wells, but it is working just fine even with the heat shield in place. I haven't seen the video, but I am thinking maybe it wasn't the heat that had the roadster not running quite right. I came home put her in the garage after the CAA and haven't driven it since. I was driving the coupe. I didn't get 2 miles when this happened. Guess I got lucky it didn't happen sooner. She has studdered a few start ups before CAA, but it isn't driven that much, so I did not think much of it. I think it was a warning sign I did not heed. Anyway, ready to install the new one. I will let you all know if this was the problem.
Install went fine once I had the right tools...just 20 minutes. It did nothing to help my problem. So, I will need my code reader to see what codes it has thrown. Idles rough, cleans out if you rev it up, but won't idle at all. Hoping it's a camshaft sensor. Mike, DJ, Woody, anyone, lol, where is the camshaft sensor located. I looked around, but looks like I may have to dig for it. Didn't find anything but the crank sensor in my searches.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Guy post for what it's worth!!
Camshaft sensor on my none Srt is on the passenger side front of the block.
Learning the position of the crank and cam sensors were the first lessons I learned with my new Crossfire. (Very early 2004 Coupe 5speed)
On my maiden voyage after the test drives, a good shake down jaunt, and the $$$ had changed hands we headed for home on a beautiful hot August Saturday afternoon. Decided to take the scenic route from Portland, OR to home in Yakima, WA. Distance is right at 200 miles. It was a beautiful drive up around Mt. Hood, lots of twisty bits and moderate traffic, then dropping down into the Columbia Gorge at Hood River. Just as the tires hit I 84 the CEL lit. There was no change in the behavior of the car, the temp was normal, no good place to stop so I motored on. The Dalles was the next town about 28 miles east. Pulled into the Chrysler dealership there even though I knew it was closed.
Yakima was still close to 100 miles away. Walked to a near by Dairy queen to contemplate what to do, and settled in for a Pepsi and a berger. Walked back to the car. Checked under the hood for obvious problems. Checked oil and tranny fluid levels. Nothing looked or smelled out of line. Loosened the gas cap and put it back on. Started the engine the CEL was still lit. Took it for a spin. Ran fine.
Now I've owned more than my share of Jaguars over the years, most way before the CEL, and I have been lucky enough to drive quite a few miles with the dam thing lit with out serious consequences so I called my "Ever loving" and told her, "If you don't see the Crossfire in the driveway in 2.5 hours call and send a tow truck south on Hwy 97 looking for us on the side of the road".
Made it to Yakima. Stopped at Autozone to get the code read: Cam sensor error. Made an appointment with the Mercedes dealer to check out the problem and give the car a once over. Picked up the car they every thing fine and Crank Sensor had been replaced. Left the dealer as they were closing and headed home. Stopped to pick up some things at the store. Returned to the car hit the starter button and heard a gawd awful noise. Turned the key off and hit the start again same ugly sound. Phoned the dealer and had the car towed back to their place. The next day I went to pick up the car and they had replaced the Cam Sensor. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.
Had a long talk with the service manager. In short his explanation was that in the earlier cars the Crank and Cam sensors are on the same circuit and that they used to replace both even though one went bad.
Would be curious to know if this has any credence at all.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by hglad
New Guy post for what it's worth!!
Camshaft sensor on my none Srt is on the passenger side front of the block.
Learning the position of the crank and cam sensors were the first lessons I learned with my new Crossfire. (Very early 2004 Coupe 5speed)
On my maiden voyage after the test drives, a good shake down jaunt, and the $$$ had changed hands we headed for home on a beautiful hot August Saturday afternoon. Decided to take the scenic route from Portland, OR to home in Yakima, WA. Distance is right at 200 miles. It was a beautiful drive up around Mt. Hood, lots of twisty bits and moderate traffic, then dropping down into the Columbia Gorge at Hood River. Just as the tires hit I 84 the CEL lit. There was no change in the behavior of the car, the temp was normal, no good place to stop so I motored on. The Dalles was the next town about 28 miles east. Pulled into the Chrysler dealership there even though I knew it was closed.
Yakima was still close to 100 miles away. Walked to a near by Dairy queen to contemplate what to do, and settled in for a Pepsi and a berger. Walked back to the car. Checked under the hood for obvious problems. Checked oil and tranny fluid levels. Nothing looked or smelled out of line. Loosened the gas cap and put it back on. Started the engine the CEL was still lit. Took it for a spin. Ran fine.
Now I've owned more than my share of Jaguars over the years, most way before the CEL, and I have been lucky enough to drive quite a few miles with the dam thing lit with out serious consequences so I called my "Ever loving" and told her, "If you don't see the Crossfire in the driveway in 2.5 hours call and send a tow truck south on Hwy 97 looking for us on the side of the road".
Made it to Yakima. Stopped at Autozone to get the code read: Cam sensor error. Made an appointment with the Mercedes dealer to check out the problem and give the car a once over. Picked up the car they every thing fine and Crank Sensor had been replaced. Left the dealer as they were closing and headed home. Stopped to pick up some things at the store. Returned to the car hit the starter button and heard a gawd awful noise. Turned the key off and hit the start again same ugly sound. Phoned the dealer and had the car towed back to their place. The next day I went to pick up the car and they had replaced the Cam Sensor. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.
Had a long talk with the service manager. In short his explanation was that in the earlier cars the Crank and Cam sensors are on the same circuit and that they used to replace both even though one went bad.
Would be curious to know if this has any credence at all.
welcome aboard, and it will be next weekend before we know. I leave Tuesday, and will not be back until very late Friday....parts and scanner should have arrived by then, and we shall see....I know the cam sensor is up front somewhere, just haven't found it yet. But, we do have a new one on the way. I haven't read the codes yet, so, it could be something else. But, from experience on here, it probably is. Although it does smooth out with throttle...so throttle control module, or sprint booster, I just don't know right now...

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doc,
Service manual 8I-6... same place as on the NA.... only for the SRT it is behind the cooling lines going up to the IC...

hglad got the right info.... the Crank sensor and the Cam sensor are used together on startup.... according to the manual, the ECU has to see the correct Crankshaft sensor count within 8 counts on the Camshaft sensor or it wont start and you get the P0335 error... maybe I should change my camshaft sensor too and see if that makes my intermittant cold no start go away...

Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Doc,
Service manual 8I-6... same place as on the NA.... only for the SRT it is behind the cooling lines going up to the IC...

hglad got the right info.... the Crank sensor and the Cam sensor are used together on startup.... according to the manual, the ECU has to see the correct Crankshaft sensor count within 8 counts on the Camshaft sensor or it wont start and you get the P0335 error... maybe I should change my camshaft sensor too and see if that makes my intermittant cold no start go away...
thanks Mike...it will start, runs rough.....I will be out of town all week working, so it will be next weekend before I get back on it. If I go to Woodward, it won't be until after next weekend....but, the part is on the way, as well as the new scanner like yours. I was just on the phone with Rudy. We have to install my pillar pods and gauges, meth kit, etc...so still have a lot going on with these two toys. Plenty to do before the drag racing season is over. I need to dial the coupe in before the track closes in late October. I will run it the sportsman's class season next year for points. Just going to do one year and see what I can do, then retire her to car shows only.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM

I am just about to that point with the Aero... I would like to see if it will do a little better with a good AFR, but since I have proven that I can run it at 11.9 on demand..(basically).. I will cruise around in it and I will only take it to the track once in a while just to tick off the V8's...

Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM

I am just about to that point with the Aero... I would like to see if it will do a little better with a good AFR, but since I have proven that I can run it at 11.9 on demand..(basically).. I will cruise around in it and I will only take it to the track once in a while just to tick off the V8's...
yes sir, same here....grudge racing...lol...just hoping this lsd works out for next year's run...I can run street tires, or drag radials...depends on the rear end mod....anyway, hopefully the cam sensor will straighten the black one out....it's now my cruiser...lol

Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth ....are your spark plugs fresh and gapped correctly?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that on your hard launch you put the car in limp mode. The SRT guys rarely talk about it as much as the MB guys do. I suggest removing the cables overnight and firing it up to see if it's better. Usually that will do it with a throttle reset for good luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repeatedly happened to me....at the worst possible times....checked plugs gap was incorrect.
Changed out to new plugs gapped correctly....battery was disconnected for a week while doing this....been flying high ever since....

OH AND LIMP MODE SUCKS!!!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by RIOT
Repeatedly happened to me....at the worst possible times....checked plugs gap was incorrect.
Changed out to new plugs gapped correctly....battery was disconnected for a week while doing this....been flying high ever since....

OH AND LIMP MODE SUCKS!!!!!

thanks guys...it didn't act like that at all, and in fact would run on a higher throttle...I didn't think it was the crankshaft sensor, since it would start, and would clean out, and I wasn't sure if it was the camshaft sensor for the same reasons, but with no code, all you can do is quess. Got the code, manifold pressure error code(PO105), so my first thought was blown intake gasket, fired it up, listen for leak as it was spitting and sputtering. Found the leak, and it was a big one....DJ already knows what it was...any guesses out there...this can happen to all of you as well, so it is a place I would look first if these conditions exist. Not sure why it happened but it did, and it is less than a $20 fix, that could leave you stranded. I believe it may have been leaking for sometime, and my hard launch, launched it....lol.....I will give you the answer after I chase down this part....stay tuned...give me your thoughts..

Well, only Chrysler had the part in stock, and it was short of double the price over the MB dealer...Chrysler is as crooked as they come, and the people aren't friendly either....$36 including tax at Chrysler...it took 5 minutes to fix....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 08-21-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:22 PM

It wouldnt be your MAP sensor would it???...... that would be on the pressure side of the SC and it just snaps in place...

You can also keep an eye on the rubber gasket on the intake, between the TB and the SC.... it can split and leak.... Guess how I know......

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM

It wouldnt be your MAP sensor would it???...... that would be on the pressure side of the SC and it just snaps in place...

You can also keep an eye on the rubber gasket on the intake, between the TB and the SC.... it can split and leak.... Guess how I know......
well since it's you Mikey, I'll let you have this one...the IAT sensor blew out...the clip was all but broken...I let the local Chrysler parts dept rape me....my butt is still sore...but, I would have spent the difference in gas and time going to a MB dealer...none close around here...

Old 08-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the IAT Sensor is?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Intake/Inlet Air Temp.....

Quick Reply: fell on it's nose today...CPS...or what do you think