Thread: Gearbox Noise ?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
ukroadster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re: Gearbox Noise ?

An Update : -

I have just taken the car back to the dealer as the noise is still there and getting worse if anything. Spent some time with the mechanic and have traced the noise to the gearbox itself.

He said the gearbox is definitely faulty and would recommend a brand new gearbox be fitted rather than repair it.

However, the car is only one week old and only has 400 miles on it and has made this noise from the first day we picked it up.

I feel that the fact that it needs a new gearbox is a major fault and I should be able to reject the car and get a replacement.

The dealer says its only minor fault in the gearbox and are only offering to replace the whole gearbox as the car is so new.

What do people think?

I have stated to the dealer this morning that we want to reject the car but of course they are trying everything to say its only a minor fault inside the gearbox and want to repair instead of replace with a new car.

I pushed and pushed stating that it wasn't of acceptable quality under the sale of goods act but they kept saying that they didn't believe it to be a major fault as the car still drove etc.

The dealer has contacted the manufacturer and we are now waiting to see what they say.

No doubt they will say change the gearbox but we want a replacement car in the circumstances as the constant vibration in the gearbox may have caused other damage to other components.

Basically this is not what we expect when buying a new car.

What does everyone think? With car only one week old and only 400 miles should I be entitled to reject the car or are we obliged to accept a repair attempt with a new gearbox ?

Totally p****d off to be honest. I thought the dealer would go with a replacement car in the circumstances. Even the mechanic said, (off the record) that he would push for a new car! But the dealers not having it at the moment. They are trying to say its down to the manufacturer. The old playing you off between the dealer and the manufacturer no doubt.

We paid for the car in full so there is no finance company to involve.

Help please - all comments welcome.

We really like the car apart from this and that's why we have asked for a replacement and not a refund but its hard for the experience not to tarnish your views when you buy something brand new you don't expect it to need a new gearbox in only a week.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but this is getting us down.

Thanks,

Andy