Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Gearbox Noise ?

Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Noise ?

Hi,

I have just bought a brand new crossfire with the 6 speed manual gearbox.

The car has been making a chattering, almost diesel engine like sound which appears to be coming from the gearbox when the car is idling in neutral.

The noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

It doesn't do it all the time and sometimes its louder than others.

I first noticed it when the car had only 90 miles on it and so took it back to the dealers but, of course, it didn't make the noise whilst there.

The car now has 300 miles on it and its back. If you turn the engine off whilst its at its loudest you hear a short series of slowing clunks which sounds awful.

Any ideas anyone?

Surely its not normal or will it quite down with some more miles on it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gearbox Noise ?

throwout bearing? why it would go bad on a brand new car is another question...

if you hold the clutch in when you turn the car off the tranny wont make that clunk. my dads vette does the same thing.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Your problem sounds familiar to me. I had it once in my good old Peugeot 205GTI. The clutch has damper springs around the coupling disc. Those springs may sound because (a) too much clearance when unstressed (b) wrong assembly (c) distance between fly wheel, coupling disc and pressure plate. Easiest to fix is (c) by adjusting the socket.
This all is for single disc clutch which I'm pretty sure your crossfire has. Of course it may be something else. Clutches are meanwhile high-tech assemblies...a lot of sources to sound.

Go and insist on your warranty.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Unhappy Re: Gearbox Noise ?

An Update : -

I have just taken the car back to the dealer as the noise is still there and getting worse if anything. Spent some time with the mechanic and have traced the noise to the gearbox itself.

He said the gearbox is definitely faulty and would recommend a brand new gearbox be fitted rather than repair it.

However, the car is only one week old and only has 400 miles on it and has made this noise from the first day we picked it up.

I feel that the fact that it needs a new gearbox is a major fault and I should be able to reject the car and get a replacement.

The dealer says its only minor fault in the gearbox and are only offering to replace the whole gearbox as the car is so new.

What do people think?

I have stated to the dealer this morning that we want to reject the car but of course they are trying everything to say its only a minor fault inside the gearbox and want to repair instead of replace with a new car.

I pushed and pushed stating that it wasn't of acceptable quality under the sale of goods act but they kept saying that they didn't believe it to be a major fault as the car still drove etc.

The dealer has contacted the manufacturer and we are now waiting to see what they say.

No doubt they will say change the gearbox but we want a replacement car in the circumstances as the constant vibration in the gearbox may have caused other damage to other components.

Basically this is not what we expect when buying a new car.

What does everyone think? With car only one week old and only 400 miles should I be entitled to reject the car or are we obliged to accept a repair attempt with a new gearbox ?

Totally p****d off to be honest. I thought the dealer would go with a replacement car in the circumstances. Even the mechanic said, (off the record) that he would push for a new car! But the dealers not having it at the moment. They are trying to say its down to the manufacturer. The old playing you off between the dealer and the manufacturer no doubt.

We paid for the car in full so there is no finance company to involve.

Help please - all comments welcome.

We really like the car apart from this and that's why we have asked for a replacement and not a refund but its hard for the experience not to tarnish your views when you buy something brand new you don't expect it to need a new gearbox in only a week.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but this is getting us down.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Forum Regular

So much trouble and anger! If it really was the gearbox and nothing else, I wouldn't doubt about replacing it. In the factory they do assemble the parts together as well. There's only one major input shaft from the engine. It was probably not affected by the malfunction. Must be able to check this respective conjunction. Furthermore you mentioned in your first post that the clutch was involved and it only occurred when idling in the neutral. Thus not really a matter of the gearbox itself.
If everything else is fine with your xf, go for the replacement. You still have warranty if the desired change doesn't occur.

Good luck.

Last edited by chxf; 05-31-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your gearbox problems, but, they will fix it with a new replacement so i'd say that's what you paid for a warranty! I'm sure lightning won't strike twice on the same car. sh*t happens!

Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 AM

I am from the UK and had a similar problem on a Porsche 911 although it had 4000 miles on the clock the dealer was helpful, I think you should insist to get a replacement car, its only done 400 miles for God`s sake they could easily put the new gearbox in and use it as a demo or easily sell it on their own forecourt without the new owner even knowing, I would even speak to Chrysler yourself. Who is the dealer?

On a better note you will enjoy your new crossfire, watch it turn heads!

Old 05-31-2005, 11:33 AM

Hi all~

Thanks for the quick replies.

Chfx - I did initially think it was the clutch (hoping really) as it went away when the clutch was pressed down.

However the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox.

When the clutch pedal is up, idling in neutral the gearbox is effectively engaged causing the faulty bearing or whatever the fault is to make the rattling, soft knocking sound.

When the clutch pedal is pressed down the gearbox is effectively disengaged and the noise disappeared.

In addition a decreasing clanging/knocking sound became apparent from the gearbox area everytime the engine was stopped.

The car was raised in the workshop where the sound could clearly be heard to be coming from the gearbox. The mechanic also used a stethoscope type instrument to try and locate the exact area in the gearbox.

I was just reading some of the posts on here and starting to think that I would just let them replace the gearbox and all would be well when the sales manager from the dealer rang.

The manufacturer, although stating that they feel that the fault does not warrant a replacement car, have actually agreed to provide a replacement - Hooray!!!

This is in the interests of customer service and the fact that the car is only one week old.

LuvXF - Thanks for your comments - As it happens our car was destined to be the demonstrator! - we were the first to test drive it and bought it so no doubt it will be repaired and used in this way.

Thanks again - Fingers crossed the next one will be perfect.

Thanks

Andy

ps. I will let you all know what the actual problem was - apparently Chrysler want the gearbox dismantling to find out what the problem is.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

Interesting I had my tranny replaced under Warranty, took two weeks and my dealer told me that DC did not want them to touch the tranny, they would send a new one for refitting. The local shop was not authorized to open the tranny.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:46 PM

Hi Irafatsar

Just been to the dealers to sort the paperwork out for the replacement car. Apparently no more Blaze red, manual roadsters in the UK with the dark grey leather so have had to have the two tone leather which is fine.

Found out that Chrysler Jeep UK actually agreed to buy back the car in the circumstances and so must put on record my thanks and appreciation to them for their customer support on this occasion. I know we are all quick to criticize when things don't turn out how we would expect so big thumbs up to Chrysler Jeep UK on this occasion.

Apparently they are going to 'pull a new gearbox off the production line' which will take several weeks to arrive and then no doubt my old car will become the demo.

I mentioned again that I would like to know what was wrong with the old gearbox when they find out and was told that Chrysler have asked for the old gearbox to be sent directly to them and not stripped as I was told by the mechanic.

Same as you experienced so I may not find out after all.

It may just be that Chrysler want to thoroughly investigate the problem without it being tampered with to ensure it doesn't happen again.

This is more than likely the case but makes you wonder if they may know something we don't.

What was wrong with your transmission? Similar problem or completely different?

Thanks.

Andy

Old 05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular

Mine was an auto stick and it was jumping from first to fourth then a slight vibration would occur around 30 MPH.

BTW where are you on the beautiful island? we have relatives in stamford and out in wales meager i think. Would love to have somebody scare the S**** out of my buddy in wales with our awesome cars, he is a RC car racer that drives a motor bike and a porsche.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukroadster
Hi all~

Thanks for the quick replies.

Chfx - I did initially think it was the clutch (hoping really) as it went away when the clutch was pressed down.

However the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox.

When the clutch pedal is up, idling in neutral the gearbox is effectively engaged causing the faulty bearing or whatever the fault is to make the rattling, soft knocking sound.

When the clutch pedal is pressed down the gearbox is effectively disengaged and the noise disappeared.
Try to get the information what it was. The gearbox is not turning while in neutral. Therefore it's strange what could make the sounds. Only the clutch disk is rotating.
However I'd be very interested in knowing what it was.

Thanks!

Congrats to your wish came true.

Edit: Ahh, never mind. Might be the bearing of the main axle in the gearbox. Not only the clutch. But infos still would be great.

Last edited by chxf; 06-01-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by chxf
..................Might be the bearing of the main axle in the gearbox. Not only the clutch. But infos still would be great.
Idler Shaft bearing?

Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 AM

Hi

My thoughts were/are that it is the input shaft bearing as I (we) call it. I assume this is the same as the idler shaft bearing.

Having done a search on the internet I found the same symptoms mentioned for various makes of car including the RX8, Mini, BMW M3 and a good thread about Holden Commodores with the 6 speed manual.

In the case of the Holden and the M3 it was determined that it was the input shaft bearing and that it was quite common. Some were louder than others and some people claimed that some noise was normal in the particular design whereas others said it wasn't?

On the Mini forum it appears they are having terrible trouble with rattling clutch/gearboxes and terminal failures. Apparently BMW switched supplier for the gearbox but are still having trouble. Funny what you find out when you do a bit of digging - I thought the mini was a reliable car!

I will do my best to find out what the problem was. My new car is due by the end of next week when I will then hand this one back.

For information the chassis number on my car is 46019 and although I only took delivery of it two weeks ago it was made in October 2004!!!
The replacement car will be 56028.

Thanks for the interest and help and I am looking forward to getting the car next week as I still really like the car despite the problems.

Contrary to some peoples feelings I think the engine is a peach - silky smooth with effortless torque in the midrange and very crisp response, not to mention the sound. Going back to my Ford Focus after driving it, I find I have my foot on the floor all the time wondering why it won't pick up - seems so flat in comparison.

I hope the engine in my new one is as good.

Has anyone experienced different levels of performance from the engines of different cars (ie. good ones - bad ones) or are they all the same.

Thanks.

Andy

Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 AM

Hi

Just to add to my last post. Although i believe the sound when in neutral may be the input shaft bearing I do not understand what is causing the series of clunking/clanging sounds when you turn the engine off.

Perhaps there is more to the problem than just the bearing.

Regards.

Andy

Old 06-02-2005, 05:25 AM

Andy,
You did the right thing by requesting another car. My brother had a similar problem with his '04 Wrangler. The day after he bought it the tranny crapped out. We took it back to the dealer and they insisted it was only a problem with the CPU. After a little bit of arguing my brother decided to just keep the car. Big mistake, it has now been a year and the tranny is causing problems constantly. He only has 14K on the car and has had it in the shop 5 times. My dad is currently fighting a lemon law with the dealership and Chrysler. This really upsets my family since my car was the 13th Chrysler product my family has purchased since 2000 alone. We have never had any problems like this before but I wish he just would have gotten a different car when he had the chance. Hopefully things will work out for you and you can enjoy becoming a part of the crossfire family...

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-02-2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ukroadster
Hi

.............. the chassis number on my car is 46019 and although I only took delivery of it two weeks ago it was made in October 2004 !!!
The replacement car will be 56028 ............
If buying new off the showroom floor the first thing I look for is the build date.
Dealers just love to shift new "old" stock.

In your case, Andy it just looks like the manufacturer is now having to put the deal back to where it should've started - a new car with a proper pre-delivery.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your comments. I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with the Wrangler - must be awful. The dealers do dig their heels in and try everything to try and make you think you don't know your rights.

In my case, as the car was so new I just kept stating, that I was aware of my rights under 'the sale of goods act' and that if an amicable agreement could not be reached to replace my car then I would officially reject it and pursue a full refund.

I didn't really want to do this as it can be a long winded affair in the UK and often hard to win if it goes all the way to court, not to mention the cost and being without a car.

Fortunately the manufacturer helped the dealer out by agreeing to buy the car back and I had a happy ending. If they hadn't done this I would have probably have given in and accepted a new gearbox reluctantly.

I know you have 'Lemon Laws' in the US which are supposedly a lot better than the protection we have over here and surely, after 5 repair attempts, you have a good case.

After the customer loyalty you have placed in the brand over the years, you would think the dealer would have been more sympathetic - Good luck !!!

Sean,

Regarding the old stock - I was surprised to find my car was made in Oct 04' (after reading a thread on this forum) as it only arrived at the dealers the day before I bought it. I assumed it was 'fresh' and never thought to check.

Going off the 'build date' thread I am estimating that the replacement 56029 will have a build date of Jan/Feb 2005 and hopefully a different batch of manual gearboxes!

Will look out for this in the future when buying a 'New' car.

Thanks again for the replies.

Andy

Old 06-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Hi,

We have picked up our brand new replacement car this morning and the car is great except this one also has a similar noise when you turn the engine off.

Its like a slowing number of clunks (almost diesel engine sound but a bit more metallic).

It is coming from the gearbox area like the previous car.

If you hold the clutch pedal down as you turn the engine off it makes no noise.

What are the chances of two brand new cars having this fault?

Pointed it out to the dealer when we picked it up and he didn't say 'they are all like that in fact he was a little puzzled and I could tell he didn't think it was normal. He said to see how it goes and give him a ring next week.

The dealer tends to sell mostly autos and said they hadn't actually sold many manuals, so I am wandering if all the 6 speed manuals do this.

Can people with the 6 speed manual please check theirs and let me know if it is a trait of the car or a fault.

With the engine warm and the engine at idle, simply turn the engine off and listen for a short series of soft edged clunks. Most noticeable if you have the door open or windows open.

If your not sure if you hear it or not, try turning it off with the clutch pedal pressed down to see if you hear a difference.

We would really, really appreciate someone taking the time to try this and report back.

I cant believe we could get 2 faulty ones in a row, Especially as the first was manufactured in August 2004 and this one in February 2005.

Apart from that I love it to bits - the clutch is more progressive on the new one and the first to second gear change much smoother, nowhere near as notchy or obstructive as the previous car and this also seems to be helped by the fact that the throttle pickup doesn't seem to have the same on/off delay. Its as though there may be new mapping in the ECU in the newer manufactured car. In fact its a total joy to drive and only this noise is spoiling an otherwise fantastic car.

Would appreciate as much feedback from other 6 speed owners as possible - Cheers.

Andy

Old 06-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular

normal noise. mine does it too.

Quick Reply: Gearbox Noise ?