Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
JHM2K
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

Greetings all!

So I have a bit of a decision to make... I currently have roughly 3/16" left on my front pads. Rotors aren't grooved or anything, and the pads aren't squealing or anything so I don't think I've hit the wear indicators yet.

I have Akebono pads on order, and since the rotors are in decent shape I was simply going to have them turned for the new pads.

My question is, do I NEED to do this before the dragon? I've spoken to a few members that said I would use my brakes more on the way up to the dragon, than on the dragon. They said I would mainly be using the gearbox for controlling speed in the twisties, and to save the fresh brakes for after the dragon. If I went this route, I would most likely buy new slotted rotors to match.

Another side of me wants to do the fresh pads/ATE super-blue fluid before the dragon, simply in the name of being prepared. I'd rather have the brakes and not need them, than need them and not have them.

So, do I burn up what I have? Or do I "waste" my remaining pad to get a jump on preparedness, and risk glazing the new pads on the dragon?

I'm in the same boat regarding oil change... I'm due for the change (-800) but I almost want to get the hard driving at the dragon out of the way, then change the oil once I return and have clean oil for the upcoming winter months. On the flip side, I wouldn't mind having clean oil prior to keeping the revs high for extended periods on the dragon. If I was rich, I would change oil before AND after but that ain't happening.

Advice on both would be appreciated.