Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

Greetings all!

So I have a bit of a decision to make... I currently have roughly 3/16" left on my front pads. Rotors aren't grooved or anything, and the pads aren't squealing or anything so I don't think I've hit the wear indicators yet.

I have Akebono pads on order, and since the rotors are in decent shape I was simply going to have them turned for the new pads.

My question is, do I NEED to do this before the dragon? I've spoken to a few members that said I would use my brakes more on the way up to the dragon, than on the dragon. They said I would mainly be using the gearbox for controlling speed in the twisties, and to save the fresh brakes for after the dragon. If I went this route, I would most likely buy new slotted rotors to match.

Another side of me wants to do the fresh pads/ATE super-blue fluid before the dragon, simply in the name of being prepared. I'd rather have the brakes and not need them, than need them and not have them.

So, do I burn up what I have? Or do I "waste" my remaining pad to get a jump on preparedness, and risk glazing the new pads on the dragon?

I'm in the same boat regarding oil change... I'm due for the change (-800) but I almost want to get the hard driving at the dragon out of the way, then change the oil once I return and have clean oil for the upcoming winter months. On the flip side, I wouldn't mind having clean oil prior to keeping the revs high for extended periods on the dragon. If I was rich, I would change oil before AND after but that ain't happening.

Advice on both would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 461 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

I would change the oil and filter before the GTG.
As for the brakes...I personally would wait til after the GTG for those with the amount of pad you say you still have.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree on the oil.

But with, as you report .187" on the pads from .450" new, I'd come prepared.
Thinner pads will heat faster, fade faster and lose heat slower. Slotted rotors will help stop better all around. You will use the gearbox to regulate speed for the most part, but having 100% brakes is a #1 safety precaution.
It's a looooong way down the hills. Especially once you're off the black stuff between the trees.

But, that's just me...

Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the brakes and oil before the Dragon.........or, let Kim ride with me!!

Safety first, you know!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John, I think it depends on what you are looking for at the Dragon and other mountain roads. If it is a brisk tour thru then I would say wait on the brakes. However if you plan on testing the limits of your car and your driving skills then I would go with the the fresh pads and up grade the fluid to limit fade. John Book, Boilerxf, Franc and other n/a drivers do a great job keeping up with the higher hp cars in the twisties by holding speed deep in the straits then braking hard for an instant to scrub of just enough speed hit the apex and accel out hard. Hard on the brake system and it comes at you 318 times in a short period of time. Above all, know your limits, always stay in your lane, keep safe spacing with the cars you are running with and always watch for the bikers.

An interesting question, I hope you get a lot of opinions. Looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon

Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Hi John, I think it depends on what you are looking for at the Dragon and other mountain roads. If it is a brisk tour thru then I would say wait on the brakes. However if you plan on testing the limits of your car and your driving skills then I would go with the the fresh pads and up grade the fluid to limit fade. John Book, Boilerxf, Franc and other n/a drivers do a great job keeping up with the higher hp cars in the twisties by holding speed deep in the straits then braking hard for an instant to scrub of just enough speed hit the apex and accel out hard. Hard on the brake system and it comes at you 318 times in a short period of time. Above all, know your limits, always stay in your lane, keep safe spacing with the cars you are running with and always watch for the bikers.

An interesting question, I hope you get a lot of opinions. Looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon
Thanks buddy.

And thanks to everyone else that has responded thus far.

Oi change is a go, based on everyone's advice.

My wallet says "wait" but the "safety-first" within me wants to heed the advice of Max (regarding brakes). I don't plan on running the dragon too extreme. Kim will be riding, and the crazier I drive, the greener her face gets. I want her to return to another GTG in the future, not scare her to the point of her insisting to get a Taxi ride back home.

Even if I 'gently' brake, 318 turns (each way) is a lot. And I can't guarantee that I won't run the dragon by myself while Kim gets some R&R with the other ladies at the lodge.

So, it looks like I'm going to do my best to play it safe. It'll make things tight for a week or so, but that's just how it works. Hopefully the fender strake project gets delayed again LOL

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

Great advice to all. Thumbs up.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
So, it looks like I'm going to do my best to play it safe. It'll make things tight for a week or so, but that's just how it works. Hopefully the fender strake project gets delayed again LOL
Making things tight for a week or so is a lot better than hitting the brakes that 318th time only to realize you have no pedal left because your fluid is boiling.

It is going to be in the 80s while we are there and brakes are one thing you do not want to chance it with. As Jim said, stab braking right before hard turns is the only way an NA can keep up, and while you will rely heavily on your tranny as well, you want the brakes to always be working 100%.

That way, if you really do want to hit it hard, trust me, you will, there will be no doubt in your mind that your machinery is in peak working order.

I am doing the coolant, rear diff, trans, oil, fuel filter, and a host of other things, I always spend more on my car right before the Dragon than any other time of the year. Molly agrees to ride with me, and I can get as crazy as I want, but the car has to be 110%

Do it, the squirrels will thank you LOL

John

Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MsGump & I discussed new tires (Michelin all-seasons) for the Dragon just this morning. Mine has the orig Conti's, and the rears are looking a little bleak at 15K. I'm debating doing it now or holding off until Spring.

Rotex Golds with brake fluid flush done in July , oil catch can installed at the Cruise and fresh oil/filter a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by harbor; 09-20-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM

I don't brake for squirrels . but I have braked for Leo before John at all cost be safe thats # 1 SEE YOU THERE

Last edited by hcarter; 09-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks buddy.

And thanks to everyone else that has responded thus far.

Oi change is a go, based on everyone's advice.

My wallet says "wait" but the "safety-first" within me wants to heed the advice of Max (regarding brakes). I don't plan on running the dragon too extreme. Kim will be riding, and the crazier I drive, the greener her face gets. I want her to return to another GTG in the future, not scare her to the point of her insisting to get a Taxi ride back home.

Even if I 'gently' brake, 318 turns (each way) is a lot. And I can't guarantee that I won't run the dragon by myself while Kim gets some R&R with the other ladies at the lodge.

So I take it you're coming to my house this weekend to do the brakes?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM

318 corners. I must get myself over there sometime.

If it were me, I'd change the brakes and fluid for sure. I did each time I visited the Nurburgring. Your trip will be spoilt if you had to take it easy due to worn pads. Plus it will play on your mind if you didn't, wondering, what if?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter
I don't brake for squirrels . but I have braked for Leo before John at all cost be safe thats # 1 SEE YOU THERE
Didn't think you would brake for anything but a LEO. Thats why I want you in front of me rather than behind. Speaking of LEO's, have you heard from John Book?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
So I take it you're coming to my house this weekend to do the brakes?
Pads arrived this afternoon... so, yup.

Might as well sneak in the oil change while she's up on the stands. Have any green drip pans lying around?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Didn't think you would brake for anything but a LEO. Thats why I want you in front of me rather than behind. Speaking of LEO's, have you heard from John Book?
Jim I have not heard anything from John I sent him a PM but no word yet ,,I'll bet he's getting all his mods done , maybe he will chime in the next couple of days as we get closer to D day ,i havent see his son posting anything either .

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pads arrived this afternoon... so, yup.

Might as well sneak in the oil change while she's up on the stands. Have any green drip pans lying around?
No but I can go out and get one, then we can give it to Steve afterwards.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM

oil change , brakes and rotors if they show up.
power bleeder and all the tools are at my house. stop by and get them ill be on the river drinkin shine cookin and fishin!!
AND REMEMBER DONT LET NICK TOUCH ANY TOOLS WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
AND REMEMBER DONT LET NICK TOUCH ANY TOOLS WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION!!!
I do not yet know Nick, but this still made me laugh pretty hard LOL

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Dude, you have not experienced humor until you have wrenched with Nick and Steve. It's a riot.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
John, trust us......Nick (aka Ruth) REQUIRES adult supervision.......CONTINUOUSLY. If you are in the vicinity, be prepared for your sides to ache.

Quick Reply: Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?