View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
thummmper
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

I found this thread [not mine originally] in a google search for anyone modifying the chrysler 3.5 v6 from the 90's. someone was asking if one could be used in a crossfire, and what were the dimensions....
back in june 2010 I installed a 94 eagle vision 3.5 v6 and 42le trans under the back seat of my 1989 vw vanagon. I had just finished a 2.2 4 cyl subaru conversion hanging on the vanagon transaxle. I didnt like that it wasnt a torque motor, and after talking with my smog ref in fullerton, california, I realized that the only way to get a v6 in a vanagon was with a factory matched transaxle. I had lost hope after considering most brands out there, which all failed my requirements due to dimensions or too small or just too expensive, until i walked up on a 94 new yorker in a jy and had an epipheny. an honest to god longitudinal front wheel drive powertrain under a low hoodline with a compact transaxle that had a good rep [unlike t&c vans] that was over 3 liters. and it looks cool to boot.
I bought the donor car from an air force reservist who took great care of it and sold it to me with a full tank-- the fact that i couldnt burn it all going to san diego and back was a good indicator of mileage too.

so- this sits under the back seat and is completely hidden. there is no loss of floor area forward of the bed seat.
I never liked the brakes on the vanagon, so i welded 1988 7 series beamer rear hub assembly/ brakes on the back with e brake and the fronts are getting jaguar 4 piston calipers [made by the same company that made the vanagon calipers] with upsized 284mm rotors and 16" ronal mercedes alloys, compared to the original 14s. with a shorter sidewall they are the same height overall as the 14s too.
the beamer rear hubs introduced its 930 cv half shafts as well, which are twice as strong as vanagons. I believe they run northstar v8 power through them on the dunes.
I had to reinvent some things along the way to solve problems, like redesigning the dash and fuel system and coolant systems just so i could use the required chrysler instrument cluster, fuel pump module and have the room to do it all.
We are at the 93% level now, with only a trail arm and halfshafts to finish followed only by the wiring splice in. i have scheduled three months just for that. the fuel tank will be tigged and finished for install next week.
to see the story from the beginning with all the drawings, etc, go to
TheSamba.com :: View topic - my middie

Last edited by thummmper; 03-30-2012 at 11:33 PM.