Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
ala_xfire
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Home made retaining clip

Originally Posted by donandjeanine
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I burned a headlight out about 2 weeks ago. I went to the store and bought a new bulb, but didnt realize that I needed to disconnect the wires BEFORE trying to disconnect the retainer clip. So, I pulled on the retainer clip, and you guessed it, it came off of it's posts. Of course, in the process of trying to put it back in place, it fell down inside the headlight assembly.

The worst part of my story - this bulb wasn't even burned out. The only reason I was replacing it was because I wanted them both to be new and bright.

So anyway, back to my story. So, I drove the car around for about a week. Last Thursday, I get pulled over, and was given 10 days to get the light fixed. I tried and tried over the weekend to get the headlight assembly out of the car, but couldn't get the bottom screw(s) to come loose. I went to a garage yesterday, and he said it would take some time, but he would try to get the headlight assembly out so that he shake it till the metal clip fell out. I figured that would cost me some money... This morning, as I go to work on a military base, the MPs at the guard shack reminded me that my headlight was burned out, threatening a citation.

After work today, I looked at it, tried to get the assembly out, and of course had no luck. Then I thought, "why not use a paper clip and build a new clip?". So, with a paper clip, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a few minutes, my paper clip/retaining clip was created. It is not perfect, but will keep me from getting a citation.

Most of all, thank you to the forum for the very detailed pictures and instructions. I don't think I will touch my car again without first consulting the forum! You guys rock!!!!

Please note - the clip in the picture is too big. I got it in place, then had to pull it out and cut about a half inch or so off of the total length. It is holding well, for now. Thanks to whomever suggesting tying a string to the clip before re-installing. That bit of advice saved me from a 2nd clip inside the headlight assembly.
If you are indeed have problems with the bottom screw/bolts in the headlight(s), then my recommendation is to simply remove the complete nose piece. Not as hard as it might sound.
1. place front of car on jack stands and remove both front wheels.
2. remove the plastic pan under the engine ( 4 bolts and a plastic thingey )
3. remove the plastic filler panels in the front of both wheel wells ( several T20 screws and those 10mm plastic bolts.
4. unplug both fog lights and the temperature probe.
5. remove the front piece to fender bolts inside the wheel wells.
6. remove the grille ( 4 8mm bolts )
7. remove the T30 screws by the headlights and the whole assembly will come off.

You can now easily access both headlights ( and clean up all that crap no one was able to get to over the years.

The following users liked this post:
ZH SRT6 (02-10-2023)