Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Testing vacuum pump-central locking system

Originally Posted by Spooky13
180 I just re-read my post. I want to make it very clear (the question I'm asking). If I were to hit the lock feature on the key fob would all three lines suck? I have to assume they would (or perhaps all 3 would blow)...anyway they all would do the same thing for a given function correct? Once again thanks for the info. I've been a member here actually for over 4 years but rarely if ever post, but really need expert help on this one to make sure I do it right.
I have never looked at this unit, so everything I say is based on assumption.

Is the manifold divided into two sections?
A pump will suck on one side and blow on the other, just like a vacuum cleaner. It is possible that this suck and blow system is used, that way it does not have to blow so much air to operate two locks and uses the other side to suck the other two locks.
In this case one port will suck and the other two ports will blow. On the other cycle that one port will blow and the other two suck. Locking would be done by vacuum on two locks and air pressure on the other two. I would think that the two door locks are using air pressure and vacuum the same way. They are similar, while the hatch and gas cap are different locks.

If the manifold is not divided then all three ports will either blow or suck.

One air line must be teed off somewhere, I suspect the gas cap and hatch locks. This would be the line that is separately operated if there is a divided manifold, I guess. In which case the latch and gas cap would fail at the same time if that hose broke. But no one has mentioned that, so it's just a guess.

If you test for blow and suck by removing the hoses from the manifold you could find out what the system is doing and possibly find the fault.

Have you opened the unit? There may be a leak inside it to one or more ports.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-28-2011 at 06:11 PM.