Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Speedriven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Performance Trans Module Software Upgrade

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i have some questions that i need to know the answer. does the mod allow for downshifting at any rpm? ie: if i hit the down paddle by mistake in 4th at 4000rpm will it shift to 3rd and pop the trans? this is the main fear i have with any of the tcu mods. also am i correct in thinking this mod affects both auto shift and manual mode? does the price inc. any upgrades that come along in the future? price is in the ballpark just want to make the right choice.
While this will allow you to put the car from 3rd into 1st at 50mph, it will not allow you to force the engine into an over-rev condition. It still retains the safety aspects and that is also why we didn't offer a manual mode with it. That being said, if you're looking for floating on a cloud smooth shifts, this won't be it. It's not going to jerk you around going from from one gear into the next unless you're skipping gears but they are considerably firmer and more commanding so you'll feel them and if you want to drop two gears, it'll let you and right quick as well. As for a future upgrade, if we come up with one, we'll work with you on it but we've been finessing this with the V8 cars for a year now and done a lot of testing with the SRT6 as well to make sure we got it right the first time around.

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Does this allow a higher redline? Not that I think it's a good idea to raise it to say ... 6500. Along with the quicker up and down shifts do you reduce the torque control? Just curious for a few more details. Who am I kidding, I'm getting this from someone as soon as possible.

Les
We are not modifying the redline with this upgrade. We don't see the need for any additional strain on the engine and when you start buzzing them that fast, you need to account for the lighter springs MB put in these engine for better fuel economy and as a result floating the valvetrain becomes a potential issue. As for reduction in torque control as you put it, yes, we have changed the attributes of how the throttle responds to varying levels of torque and it really makes the engine more lively and the transmission more in sync with what you want it to do. Like BigKid was saying, it definitly gives you a much finer control over your car and I can attest to that myself taking his car out on the dragon.