Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM
DTMenace
Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Re: What is a good way to really clean the Exhaust Tips?

Originally Posted by ThatSweetSRT6
Hi everyone!

Been awhile since I've posted, hope you all are doing great!

Here's my question: the exhaust tips, since I bought the car they were always dirty in appearance. I did a great deal of attempting to clean with washing the car etc but the exhaust tips never seem to get that nice clean chrome look but smudged in dirt that sticks to them, the rest of the car is flawless and the rims are easy to clean but the exhaust tips will need to go the extra mile to get them shiny.

A tenant of mine had recommended that I use S.O.S. soap pads.

I went ahead and tried it out, well I am surprised to say that I got 25% of that dirt off using the pads and some water BUT its hard to reach in certain area's of the tips to get to with the pads especially when they start to get wet, its difficult to really keep that cleaning effect going as the pad becomes too "Mushy".

I feel like I need to use a good brush to get down there but I certainly don't want to scratch the finish.

Any tips to clean them so they don't take sooo long to get done?? I spent like 10 minutes working the pads in different angles just to get 25% off of ONE exhaust tip. Would be nice to know if there is a good cleaner spray I can use and some kind of brush to really get that dirt off......
ThatSweet SRT6
I hope you realize the exhaust tips (inside) on an SRT6 are painted high temp black from the factory, vs. the Limited tips that are not painted black. The only way to eliminate the paint would be through the use of a solvent for paint removal, which could cause other issues when the car is fully warmed up.
Dennis
DTMenace