View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Posi-Quiet Ceramic pad set?

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
As usual James1549, your spot-on 100%. I just grabbed my trusty service manual set and verified (Page 5-59 middle page) the correct proceedure for adjusting the E-brake. I love this forum! Doncha just love the fact a US car has had auto-adjusting E-brakes since mid 70's standard, and a 2004-2008 Chrysler (of MB origin) doesn't? One of the best investments I made was this hard copy service manual set!
I am not sure the E brake could be said to be self adjusting even on the cars you are refering to, the rear shoes on a drum style brake did adjust automatically in reverse as long as the adjusting screw had not rusted up. But the cable assembly still required adjusting to take up the slack due to stretch when used often, so in essence it was not self adjusting, American car or not. Most people driving autos never used the E brake anyway and the cables often rusted up as a result.

As far as the hard copy service manual being a good investment depends on your outlook I guess. I have it as well as a CD version, but I always look on the computer and print out the sheets relevant to the job in hand from the copy I down loaded from this site. Why have the big manuals in the garage when a couple of disposable sheets of paper do the job?