Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
latemodel21
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Paddle shifter install instructions completed

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
You should probably get your answers from the "Professor" (Chris) but yes, you've pretty much nailed it.

The interface at the paddles get power from the horn supply only and do not use any wire through the steering column.

Have you not placed an order yet? Time is of the essence and life is short!!

"the professor" was my driver nickname in NASCAR : ) I don't hear it so much that last few years .... guess it's time to pull my dirt-latemodel out of the trailer and get it race-ready
Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Sik Srt-6] Hey folks, i dont want to side track the thread, but i do have a question about the whole paddle shift system, i read through the build thread a while back, maby i missed the point.

This K40 interface box?. Does this transmit the upshift/downshift selection from the shifter paddles to the autostick in the center console without having to run any wires down the coloum?. ie.. using the existing wiring and such in the steering coloum? And then soldering into the autostick from a 2nd interface box

From my understanding theres a spare wire thats part of the whole roating coloum assembly?

The K40 is a convenient place to BOTH pick up power for the paddle-interface main module AND to tie into the horn switch output (from steering wheel) and then finally tie-in the new horn drive signal (from the paddle-interface main module to the k40/horn relay).

there is no wire added to the column because the paddle switches are added to the horn line in the steering wheel (after being voltage coded by a small interface module that comes with the kit and mounts under the steeering wheel aribag).

The kt, in a nutshell, comes with harnessing and modules (2 modules, 2 main haresses and one sub harness) that work together as follows:
a) a small module (under the airbag) adds the paddle switch signals to the horn wire
b) a harness is supplied that directs those signals to and from the car's harness at the K40 module (along with power) to the "paddle -interface main module".
c) the "paddle -interface main module" then converts the voltage coded signal from the steering wheel into upshift, downshift and honk signals,
d) a second supplied harness takes the upshift and downshift signals to the shifter (where it connects to a sub harness that gets soldered into the shifter. Additionally, this harness also sends a signal back to the "paddle -interface main module" the enables the upshift and downshift signals ONLY when the shifter is in "DRIVE".

hope that answers your questions.

Chris