Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Crossfire725
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front and rear spring removal procedure write up

I already did a write up on the rears. It can be found at the link below.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-write-up.html

now for the fronts. i was told thatg the only way you can do the fronts is with a spring compressor. but i have done each side in under and hour without a spring compressor.

step 1 - loosen lugs on the front tire
step 2 - pop the hood and look at the top of the struts. their covered wih a black rubber piece. take off the nut and the metal washer and rubber bushing.
step 3 - jack up the car and place the car and jack stands
step 4 - take off the plastic belly pan the cover the oil pan

FROM HERE ON IN ITS ALOT OF JACK PLACEMENT. THE JACK HAS TO BE IN TH RIGHT SPOT ON THE CONTROL ARM TO GET THE RIGHT ANGLE. HAVE TO MOVE THE JACK AROUND ALOT

step 5 - there are two torx bolts on each of the two ends on the control arm. (YOU DO NOT NEED A TORX SOCKET TO DO THIS JOB). the nut size is a 22mm. make sure you have one i had to get a buddy to buy me one and drop it off to me.

DO NOT REMOVE THE SWAY BAR FROM THE CONTROL ARM!! NOTHING WILL EVER LINE UP!!

step 6 - take off the nuts off both sides. get the jack at the right height that the stress is not on the bolts. the bolts should come out with a light tap from a hammer. may need to change possistion of the jack for each bolt.
step 7 - after each of the bolts are out lower the jack. you may need to use a pray bar to get both bushing out of their place where you took the bolts out.
step 8 - lower and remove the jack and the arm should drop down.
step 9 - the spring should now have no tension on it and you may need to use a pray bar to get the srping off the control arm. takes little effort.
step 10 - if the spring pad dose not come out with the spring make sure you reach up where the top of the spring sat and take down the spring pad. makes it alot easier on install.
step 11 - mark the spring where you want to cut. measure it some how so you can match it on the other side.
step 12 - make the cut. i used a grinder with a metal cutting blade. cut threw like butter. picture of tool below
step 13 - i spray painted the cut tip with paint to prevent rust
step 14 - place the spring pad on the top of the spring and place the spring back up and seat it evenly in the control arm.

FROM HERE ON IN AGAIN ITS A JACK PLACEMENT GAME

step 15 - first install the two control arm bolts. the bolts are notched and can only go in one way correctly. so double check before install on witch side and witch way the bolts go in.
step 16 - tighten up the two 22mm bolts
step 17 - place jack under the middle of the control arm and guid the top of the strut back threw the hole while you jack the arm up.
step 18 - install the rubber bushing and washer and tighten up the strut nut.

DO OTHER SIDE SAME STEPS

step 19 - put the whell back on with the lug nuts.
step 20 - install belly pan
step 21 - drop the car and tighten wheel studs.

thats my write up. thank you. some pics are below for reference.
-Joe Carter

Last edited by Crossfire725; 04-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.