View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
nate_man
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one? Very strange noise

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Mine does the same and after asking questions here and inspecting the tires I have come to the conclusion that it is the wear pattern on the tire treads. The individual tread blocks taper from front to back.
The new tires should prove this next week, or not.

I think that OneHundred80 is on to something here. I was originally convinced it was my bearings however I took it to my good friend a genius mechanic and he said it was clearly the tires. My tires were chopping a bit in the wear pattern and I had the car aligned to at a minimum reduce further chop but the noise I think is the tires. Funny thing is that there is only about 10k on these tires and I hate the noise.

I noticed one thing that has led me more to the conclusion that my tires may be the problem and that is the fact that on a wet road the noise almost disappears. I had been driving through some spotty rain areas where the was both wet and dry pavement and it was quite a noticeable difference.

That being said the jury was sill out on whether it was definitively the tires until 15psi gave me an update on his bearing replacement approach. Now I am leaning more to the tires vs the bearings.

Right now I am driving with the noise until i decide to buy some new tires, but the noise definitely increases when breaking, however at highway speeds it does not appear to be an issue. This has been confusing to say the least as it almost feels as if there is a grinding when braking but I am now more convinced that it is in my head and these tires are just noisy given the chop. I have 19s up front and Falkens on the rims. These wheels to have a wide footprint and thus a possible contribution to the noisy chopped front tires.

Jury still deliberating, but I think that they are nearing a verdict - Tires!

Has anyone had chopping on their front tires? My alignment stats didn't seem to be to out of whack when I looked at the dealer update when completed so I am not sure why the chop on my outer and inner treads for the front tires.

Thanks

Nate