View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Convertible Top Sensor Beep

Originally Posted by firem77
I too have just experianced the window fall out problem. I have a couple of questions ref my beeping problem. First, the Chrysler dealership has replaced my top, but, charged a $250 co-pay. Has anyone else had to pay this co-pay?
Well, if I could get a new top for $250 I'd be fine! But I will defer your question to those who have dealt with this.

Now to the bigger problem.....The top goes down fine and works like it always did however, when I put it up, the top comes up to the stopping point and then keeps "hunting", i.e going up and down about 6 inches. This stops when I take my finger off the switch. When I pull the top all the way down to secure it, the red light starts blinking and the beeper begins. To add to the mystery, now my trunk will not release/open with the top in the up position! The trunk works fine with the top in the down position.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The dealer is dragging their feet in fixing the problem. To add insult they want me to pay for the repairs. HELP

thanks,
Dave Philip
"Hunting"... not sure what you mean. I know this is a clue, just can't get my mind around what is going on.

As to the trunk not opening, that does not add to the mystery - it kinda tells us what is going on!

See, the trunk is locked by an electric lock ONLY FOR THE 24 SECONDS THAT THE TOP IS MOVING UP OR DOWN. Now, what it sounds to me is that when you put the top down, all is well and the TCM unlocks the trunk.

When you put the top UP, the cycle does not complete and IN THE MIND OF THE TCM, the top is not done moving, so it will not unlock the trunk!

Let me think about this for a minute...

EDIT: It's late and I've got to get to bed. Obviously, the replacement of the top was done incorrectly - perhaps they just left a wire off or something not adjusted right - but it IS their problem! I want to blame the SAME thing as the Luis experienced - the headliner switch is not getting closed, and therefore the TCM is not completing it's cycle.

The problem with THAT theory is this "hunting" thing you speak of. I've got to get you to explain what it's doing better (or make a short video clip of it and show us!)
My thinking is we have a sensor not reporting travel/position correctly. This can be due to a wire left off somewhere or a damaged/maladjusted sensor that is therefore "lying" to the TCM.

Sure wish I understood this "hunting" thing... that seems like a clue but I am CLUELESS over it.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-16-2012 at 10:34 PM.