View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM
onehundred80
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Oil. Why should I use

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Put an oil temp gauge on your car (like I have on mine) and tell me the oil's viscosity goes UP with temperature.
Cold Engine idle: 55 psi; Hot Engine Idle: 9 psi

My next change will be to Mobile 1 5W50
So you think that the higher the oil pressure is the better the lubrication is? The reason the oil pressure is high is because the pump cannot push the oil around so easily and it is also moving less oil, the pressure you see is back pressure.

Or what are you saying exactly?

With Chrysler/MB saying an oil with the properties of 40 grade is good at our operating temperatures you have decided somehow that 50 grade is better. Please tell.

Remember that warranty work due to improper oil usage is something that the makers try to avoid. So they gave a recommendation that you choose to ignore.

In a warmer climate you really have no need for 0W-40 oil and 5W is fine, but 5W-50?

These cars with close tolerance engines need a thinner oil to get into the gaps and provide a bed for the moving parts, using an oil that is less able to access these gaps has got to be wrong to some extent. This isn't your clapped out Chevy Vega we are talking about here.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.