View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Oil. Why should I use

Originally Posted by onehundred80
So you think that the higher the oil pressure is the better the lubrication is?

To some extent, yes.

The reason the oil pressure is high is because the pump cannot push the oil around so easily and it is also moving less oil, the pressure you see is back pressure.
Agreed - and that is why I do not push my car AT ALL until my pressure has dropped - that is to say, the engine has heated up and the oil is flowing.

So, no, I do not simply believe that a higher pressure is all there is to it.

With Chrysler/MB saying an oil with the properties of 40 grade is good at our operating temperatures you have decided somehow that 50 grade is better. Please tell.

Remember that warranty work due to improper oil usage is something that the makers try to avoid. So they gave a recommendation that you choose to ignore.

In a warmer climate you really have no need for 0W-40 oil and 5W is fine, but 5W-50?
It gets VERY warm here, but with the fan mod I had done, my engine does not get as hot as it did, I do concede that.

And I am very **** about this - I would never put ANY oil in there that MB did not have on either 229.3 or 229.5 - Mobile 1 5W50 is on 229.3 (even shows up on the bottle).

5W50 IS approved for these engines.

These cars with close tolerance engines need a thinner oil to get into the gaps and provide a bed for the moving parts, using an oil that is less able to access these gaps has got to be wrong to some extent. This isn't your clapped out Chevy Vega we are talking about here.
No, and it isnt' my 262 CID V6 from my 1993 GMC truck, either. THAT engine specified 5W20, and it got it - for the first 12,000 miles. I then went to 15W40 until around 150,000. I THEN went to 20W50 and sold the truck before 250,000. The current owner runs 30W in it. On my birthday this spring, Ed sent me a picture of the odometer, it turned 404,000 on the way home from work a few days earlier.

The truck has had water pumps, a distributor, heater core, u joints, ball joints, alternators and a clutch replaced. The engine itself just keeps running.

But it really all goes to 229.3 and 229.5 - there are even two 10W and one 15W oils on 229.3 !!!!
What say you to THAT ??

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.