View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
RL67037
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New SRT owner with a CEL

Originally Posted by Parallel Ice
See, now you did it. Got me thinkin' and recallin' the scenario :P

I guess describing it as a slip may not be correct. The "feeling" was as if power (engine, not electrical) dramatically decreased for all of 1-1.5 seconds while cruising around 75-80 on the freeway in drive. This occurred twice, 20 minutes apart, at about halfway through a 1 hour drive.

Now that I think about it; this is my first force induction vehicle, so I guess it may be related to the supercharger (like belt slippage?).

Sadly, I went straight to the dealer in the morning and handed it right over to them before I could be a big boy and pull the codes =\

The lights did not dim; the rpms did not sound like they were fluctuating, but I was also singing at the top of my lungs so I can't say for 100% ;p
That is a classic sign of an I/C pump failure. The S/C has an electronic clutch that will disengage if it's not being cooled properly. When it engages/disengages you will feel the car surge. The fix is fairly easy and not too expensive if you are somewhat handy and do it yourself. This pump failure will normally not trigger a CEL so you may have a separate problem there. Have the dealer get the codes for the CEL so the smart guys on here can chime in and help you out. They may be able to save you some $$ in diagnostic and repair charges.

A good rule of thumb, now that you are here, is if you experience something weird and your car is still running and can make it home, check here first before heading to the dealer. :-)

RL

Last edited by RL67037; 01-23-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Rule of thumb