Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
canadablue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Auto Transmission Connector Repair Link

Originally Posted by scirocco16v
A quick bit of information which may be helpful regarding this repair. The part you're replacing is called the "pilot bushing". You can get the complete connector from a Mercedes Benz dealer and it should cost no more than $30. The Mercedes transmission code for the Crossfire transmission is 722.6. This is a very reliable Mercedes transmission and this is a common failure. Let me stress 1 main concern area which I didn't see addressed: make sure that when you remove the 7mm bolt in the middle of the connector, that you crack it loose. (snap quickly). If it is seized in there (which it may be) and you try to just slowly increase force to remove it, the tiny thread insert will tear out of the conductor plate (electronic controller mechanism for tranny) and you'll have to replace the entire conductor plate (around $400 for the part). Also, when installing the 7mm, don't muscle it on there. Just snug will work fine. I am a Mercedes technician and I speak from experience. (ie. yes, I had to replace a conductor plate)
I was just quoted $500 for repair of transmission leak - this sounds like the shop is replacing the entire conductor plate, which doesn't seem necessary, but they see me as a mindless female and will try to take advantage. Maybe I should get a second opinion??