Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

DIY Auto Transmission Connector Repair Link

Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Auto Transmission Connector Repair Link

My '04 coupe, purchesed 5 months ago, now with 26,000 miles seems to have the dreaded auto transmission connector leak. When I click on every link I can find in the posts, I just come up with more posts - but can't find the link to repair instructions with photoe - I especially need photos, because I'm in the boonies 50 miles from Savannah, GA and will likely do the work myself. None of the so-called Chrysler techs around here knows anything about Crossfires. Please provide a working link to the photos/instructions.

Also - Does anyone know of a good Crossfire tech within reasonable driving distance of Savannah? Contact info would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone. I'll get there, but I really appreciate your help in the meantime.

BV Cooper

Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY Auto Transmission Connector Repair Link

This is what you're looking for:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Thanks so much! This link let me finally open the photos, which I'd been unable to do.

BV

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM

A quick bit of information which may be helpful regarding this repair. The part you're replacing is called the "pilot bushing". You can get the complete connector from a Mercedes Benz dealer and it should cost no more than $30. The Mercedes transmission code for the Crossfire transmission is 722.6. This is a very reliable Mercedes transmission and this is a common failure. Let me stress 1 main concern area which I didn't see addressed: make sure that when you remove the 7mm bolt in the middle of the connector, that you crack it loose. (snap quickly). If it is seized in there (which it may be) and you try to just slowly increase force to remove it, the tiny thread insert will tear out of the conductor plate (electronic controller mechanism for tranny) and you'll have to replace the entire conductor plate (around $400 for the part). Also, when installing the 7mm, don't muscle it on there. Just snug will work fine. I am a Mercedes technician and I speak from experience. (ie. yes, I had to replace a conductor plate)

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks - good info. I sincerely appreciate your help.

After I asked for help in finding a Crossfire technician near Savannah, I got lucky and found a former Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer service manager who recently bought an independent auto repair shop from his uncle. Great news is that he's in Springfield, GA just 7 miles from my Clyo, GA home. He knows - and loves - Crossfires.
He personally performs the Crossfire work and- amazingly - he lets you hang out in the shop and watch him work. He has very current equipment and diagnostic tools.

Had him do the trans connector repair. He charged $59 total for parts and labor. He also did an oil & filter service, checked everything out, and pronounced our baby in excelent health.

I don't want to push this man on anyone, but he's good. I'm an ex-mechanical engineer, have done a little racing, built cars, etc. Based on that background, I think he's a far better than average tech, and he cares aboiut what he does. He also guarantees all his work. If anyone's interested, and if it doesn't violate Forum rules, I'll post his contact info. He's 45 miles from Savannah - about 20 miles west of I-95 Exit 109 (in GA just inside the GA-SC line).

Thanks again,

BV Cooper

Last edited by bvcooper; 12-09-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Awesome! $59! What a deal!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by scirocco16v
A quick bit of information which may be helpful regarding this repair. The part you're replacing is called the "pilot bushing". You can get the complete connector from a Mercedes Benz dealer and it should cost no more than $30. The Mercedes transmission code for the Crossfire transmission is 722.6. This is a very reliable Mercedes transmission and this is a common failure. Let me stress 1 main concern area which I didn't see addressed: make sure that when you remove the 7mm bolt in the middle of the connector, that you crack it loose. (snap quickly). If it is seized in there (which it may be) and you try to just slowly increase force to remove it, the tiny thread insert will tear out of the conductor plate (electronic controller mechanism for tranny) and you'll have to replace the entire conductor plate (around $400 for the part). Also, when installing the 7mm, don't muscle it on there. Just snug will work fine. I am a Mercedes technician and I speak from experience. (ie. yes, I had to replace a conductor plate)
I was just quoted $500 for repair of transmission leak - this sounds like the shop is replacing the entire conductor plate, which doesn't seem necessary, but they see me as a mindless female and will try to take advantage. Maybe I should get a second opinion??

Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Read this thread.. it is the most common of "our" leaks. I don't think anyone here is qualified to really advise you without more information on your leak.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Oh.. just noticed it was referenced earlier in this thread.. LOL

Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by canadablue
I was just quoted $500 for repair of transmission leak - this sounds like the shop is replacing the entire conductor plate, which doesn't seem necessary, but they see me as a mindless female and will try to take advantage. Maybe I should get a second opinion??
I just replaced the conductor plate and the shifting silenoid and then I replaced the shifter and I was wondering if I could never get the 7 mm screw to bite

Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

The thread is from 2013. Maybe someone will read it and respond?