View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
SrWilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing exterior door handle

Originally Posted by DaVinci
I just did my handles today so i have it fresh in my head.

1. Driver side door hole lined up much better than the passenger side door hole.

2. Once that screw is loose, the small portion (part with lock cylinder in it on driver side, just plain jane on passenger) pulls right out.

3. I dont care how(magnet, pliers, magic), but get that screw out safely at this point, if you leave it in and drop it, you will have to pull the door panel (ask me how i know....)

3. Then the handle litterally pulls right out, May have to jiggle a bit.

4. As for the hole not lining up, don't go to a body shop and pay them. Just go buy a nice set of allen keys. You will get the job done, it will be more satisfying, and you will have a nice set when your done. Any good size ball end allen keys will make this job very very easy.
DaVinci:

I really want to try this but I am scared to death of dropping the screw and then having to take off the entire door panel, which I do not want to do. What is the best way to make sure you do not drop the screw either removing the door handle, and more importantly putting the handle back on. I imagine that the screw is going to come off the allen key when you are trying to put the handle back on. How do you fish the screw thru the hole without it dropping off of your tool?