TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Replacing exterior door handle

Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing exterior door handle

Need some help before I take off my interior door panel, I have looked through the repair Manuel and looked at some pictures others have posted and I am concerned that I won't be able to get access to the back side of the exterior door handle. By the looks of this thing, and the Manuel info, I have to remove a screw from the inside of the end piece in order to tilt out and remove/ replace the rest of the handle ( mine has a nasty faded finish). Any of you ever do this or know something I should know about doing this? I'm afraid once I take the inside panel off that there is a huge metal plate preventing access to the back of the handle. Couple of you sent me the 4000 page manuel but i could not find any instructions on how to do this...they showed the components and that was it, unless i totally am missing it. Thought some f you body guys might have insight. Any help much appreciated

Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Replacing exterior door handle

Stop you don't need to pull the door panel to get the handle off.

Pull back the weather stripping on the door and you will find a hole that lines up with the hex screw that holds the handle on. If I remember its 5mm. remove screw and make sure you use a magnet on the hex key to pull it through the door. This will undo the right most part of the handle and then the large portion tilts out

Last edited by Infinity; 05-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Wow...thank you guy! I'll give that a check tomorrow

Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Infinity

Pull back the weather stripping on the door and you will find a hole that lines up with the hex screw that holds the handle on. If I remember its 5mm. remove screw and make sure you use a magnet on the hex key to pull it through the door. This will undo the right most part of the handle and then the large portion tils out
I too want to remove door handles. CAn you lay this out a little more as I am so afraid to mess something up.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Pull back the weather stripping on the door and you will find a hole that lines up with the hex screw that holds the handle on. If I remember its 5mm. remove screw and make sure you use a magnet on the hex key to pull it through the door. This will undo the right most part of the handle and then the large portion tils out
Holy micro-hole batman....I found the only hole under the weather stripping but ill be damned if I can hit the screw head. Messed around for an hour and just couldn't get it. I think a trip to a body shop is in order. This requires someone with more expertise!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stelmos
Holy micro-hole batman....I found the only hole under the weather stripping but ill be damned if I can hit the screw head. Messed around for an hour and just couldn't get it. I think a trip to a body shop is in order. This requires someone with more expertise!
You will need a long Allen key to reach the bolt

Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM

You will need a long Allen key to reach the bolt
I was using e that is about 6" long....just couldn't seem to get aligned right to hit the screw. I may take another charge at it later. Thanks footage pointers tho!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 AM

I just did my handles today so i have it fresh in my head.

1. Driver side door hole lined up much better than the passenger side door hole.

2. Once that screw is loose, the small portion (part with lock cylinder in it on driver side, just plain jane on passenger) pulls right out.

3. I dont care how(magnet, pliers, magic), but get that screw out safely at this point, if you leave it in and drop it, you will have to pull the door panel (ask me how i know....)

3. Then the handle litterally pulls right out, May have to jiggle a bit.

4. As for the hole not lining up, don't go to a body shop and pay them. Just go buy a nice set of allen keys. You will get the job done, it will be more satisfying, and you will have a nice set when your done. Any good size ball end allen keys will make this job very very easy.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to pull mine for paint, thanks for the pointers!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by DaVinci

1. Driver side door hole lined up much better than the passenger side door hole.

2. Once that screw is loose, the small portion (part with lock cylinder in it on driver side, just plain jane on passenger) pulls right out.

3. I dont care how(magnet, pliers, magic), but get that screw out safely at this point, if you leave it in and drop it, you will have to pull the door panel (ask me how i know....)

4. As for the hole not lining up, don't go to a body shop and pay them. Just go buy a nice set of allen keys. You will get the job done, it will be more satisfying, and you will have a nice set when your done. Any good size ball end allen keys will make this job very very easy.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I won't give up...I'll get it. I just need to have some time to "not be somewhere n an hour" lol. Is there a cable or something attached to the handle when you pull it out that you have to move to the new one?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM

DaVinci:

I really want to try this but I am scared to death of dropping the screw and then having to take off the entire door panel, which I do not want to do. What is the best way to make sure you do not drop the screw either removing the door handle, and more importantly putting the handle back on. I imagine that the screw is going to come off the allen key when you are trying to put the handle back on. How do you fish the screw thru the hole without it dropping off of your tool?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 PM

When are you guys going to attemp this? I have to pull one off again anyway and I could take some pics, but i will explain it here as best as possible.

1. Screw doesn't fall easily, only if your a complete tool and completely forget about it and shut the door a few times (once again...ask me how I know)

1.5 If i was TERRIFIED of dropping the screw, I would simply wrap some wire around the exposed end to hold it in. But honestly, its not going anywhere, take the lock mechanism out and then just push the screw all the way in again so its sticking out.

2. The door handle has no cables. The handle itself is just a basic hook that grabs a paddle inside the door.

3. Installing it was easy when I figured out to grab the paddle (part inside the door) and pull on it with a coat hanger. This made the handle fall right into place.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Now that I think of it, you probably could just wrap the screw threds with some tape to hold it in as well, but this is being uber ****.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 PM

I'm sorry big guy, didn't mean to nerve you!

Having not done this before I mis-read the instructions. I thought after you loosened the screw you had to extricate it from the hole. I had no idea that the screw remained in its location while pulling the handle out.

FOR ALL OF US uneducated in this process, I again apologize for over-seeking your guidance. Did not mean to bother you with ridiculousness

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 PM

I'm really scratching my head on this one. No clue what your talking about, unless you took me calling myself a complete tool for something different. (the ask me how I know is a reference for the reader to understand that I did this.....twice....)

Nothing in my post was meant to be insulting to anyone or anything. If anything the post was made to make you realize its easy and quite doubting yourself.

If you were offended by anything in my post I am either completely blind or your misconstruded it.

v/r
Andrew

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 AM

I'm really scratching my head on this one. No clue what your talking about, unless you took me calling myself a complete tool for something different. (the ask me how I know is a reference for the reader to understand that I did this.....twice....)

Nothing in my post was meant to be insulting to anyone or anything. If anything the post was made to make you realize its easy and quite doubting yourself.

If you were offended by anything in my post I am either completely blind or your misconstruded it.

v/r
Andrew
Andrew: I am sorry, I misread your post. I did not realize when you used the tool reference you were referring to yourself and not to me and others who were concerned about dropping the screw.

The bottom line is that I appreciate you even taking the time to assist all of us who want to try this project.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Have you seen this?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...m-removal.html

Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Mission accomplished. I knew I could do it, I'm just impatient. After I took my time and could finally get a visual through that tiny hole to see the screw head. Once I got a fix on that it was fine. Had no issue with the screw...just kept checking the silver end piece as it loosened and as soon as I could pull it off realized the screw was still hanging in the inside bracket by a few threads. NP. Slid old one out and new one in. Didn't have to hold inside door handle...carefully put it in, push and slide forward into position and it goes exactly where it's suppose to...took a couple tries. Put the end piece on and held while screwing down the screw that never fell out of position ( thank goodness.) thanks for your help guys! None of the info was wasted!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Victory!

But you didn't take pics so the next guy is screwed....shame on you.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Are our door handles metal or plastic. I ask because I wanted to chrome my actual handles.

I can not find actual chrome Xfire handles. Does anyone know who sells tthat is he actual handles.

If not, can someone suggest a chromer if they are plastic