Thread: Prostate Cancer
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Reliableron
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prostate Cancer

Hi all,

As we approach the big day I am wishing all the Dad's a Happy Father's day.
I thought I would post my father's day story once more as it means a lot to me and should to many of you. I know that the age of many crossfire owners is around the 50 range - I am 56. This Sunday my wife and I are running the Safeway Father's day walk/run for Prostate Cancer in the Metro Vancouver area. My team "Pain in the A$$" (yup!) raised over $11,000.00 last year for prostate cancer research. It is a charity that hits home for me as I was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer when I was 50.

It was during a routine "Oh you're 50 you need a physical" exam that my Dr. advised me of an abnormality in my prostate (yes it is a slightly unpleasant procedure but not painful) and I was sent for a simple blood test and found I had a very high PSA # (prostate specific antigen) This led to further tests and soon after I learned that I had an aggressive form of prostate cancer which had metastasized. I was given less than 3 years to live but I passed the 5 year mark in April and although the drugs are tough on the body - I usually sleep 10 or 11 hours a night - I have been enjoying life since. I still run 5k a few times a week and hope to do the 10.8k run on Father's day for my 6th time.

Anyway my point is that 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime and although more men die with it, than of it, it is a cause of major anxiety for men diagnosed with it and a problem for most men treated for it. More research is needed to reduce the severity of treatment and the subsequent side effects and to hopefully find a cure. If you are over forty talk to your Dr. about PSA screening and maybe give to your local Prostate research foundation.

Just wanted to get the word out - it is a "pain in the ***" but it might save your life. If I hadn't been checked out I would likely have died over 4 years ago.(I had no symptoms) I am still going to die from it but have extended my life quite a bit longer than the Dr.'s expected -my friend said it best when he told me "for a guy who is dying you sure are taking a long time!" And I am lovin' it! (you can check out my website below)

thanks for your time "the" PainintheAss, Ron