General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Prostate Cancer

Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prostate Cancer

Hi all,

As we approach the big day I am wishing all the Dad's a Happy Father's day.
I thought I would post my father's day story once more as it means a lot to me and should to many of you. I know that the age of many crossfire owners is around the 50 range - I am 56. This Sunday my wife and I are running the Safeway Father's day walk/run for Prostate Cancer in the Metro Vancouver area. My team "Pain in the A$$" (yup!) raised over $11,000.00 last year for prostate cancer research. It is a charity that hits home for me as I was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer when I was 50.

It was during a routine "Oh you're 50 you need a physical" exam that my Dr. advised me of an abnormality in my prostate (yes it is a slightly unpleasant procedure but not painful) and I was sent for a simple blood test and found I had a very high PSA # (prostate specific antigen) This led to further tests and soon after I learned that I had an aggressive form of prostate cancer which had metastasized. I was given less than 3 years to live but I passed the 5 year mark in April and although the drugs are tough on the body - I usually sleep 10 or 11 hours a night - I have been enjoying life since. I still run 5k a few times a week and hope to do the 10.8k run on Father's day for my 6th time.

Anyway my point is that 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime and although more men die with it, than of it, it is a cause of major anxiety for men diagnosed with it and a problem for most men treated for it. More research is needed to reduce the severity of treatment and the subsequent side effects and to hopefully find a cure. If you are over forty talk to your Dr. about PSA screening and maybe give to your local Prostate research foundation.

Just wanted to get the word out - it is a "pain in the ***" but it might save your life. If I hadn't been checked out I would likely have died over 4 years ago.(I had no symptoms) I am still going to die from it but have extended my life quite a bit longer than the Dr.'s expected -my friend said it best when he told me "for a guy who is dying you sure are taking a long time!" And I am lovin' it! (you can check out my website below)

thanks for your time "the" PainintheAss, Ron

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Prostate Cancer

Ron you are doing a great job promoting awareness to such an important factor in mens wellness. Have a fantastic run, knowing you are making a huge impact on the lives of other men by bringing awareness and untimately getting tested for prevention.
I was tested for the first time just over a year ago after reading your story here on the forum when you had previously shared it. Thankfully my PSA was good and now I have a benchmark fore future PSA tests.
Keep up the great work.

Steve

PS Please share a link where we can sponsor your run. Every little bit helps !

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 06-10-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve - proud that a few guys on the forum like you and Beaner who don't have prostate Cancer still make the effort to raise money and awareness with Movember. Always happy to spread the word because I never thought of it till it was too late! All the best, Ron

And if anyone would like to donate our run page is: Prostate Cancer Foundation BC - Support Us

Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donation made. Have a great run !

Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the support Steve - Appreciate it big time!!