General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Safeway Father's Day run/walk for Prostate Cancer

Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Safeway Father's Day run/walk for Prostate Cancer

Hi, hope all the Dad's had a Happy Father's day.

I thought I would post my father's day story as it means a lot to me and should to many of you. I notice that the age of many crossfire owners is around the 50 range - I am 53. Today my wife and I ran 10.8 Kilometres(6.7 miles) in the Safeway Father's day walk/ run for Prostate cancer in the Metro Vancouver area. My team "Pain in the A$$" (yes it is a great name) raised almost $9000.00 for prostate cancer research. It is a charity that hits home for me as I was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer just over 2 years ago. It was during a routine "Oh you're 50 you need a physical" exam that my Dr advised me of an abnormality in my prostate (yes it is an unpleasant procedure but not painful) and I was sent for a simple blood test and found I had a very high PSA # (prostate specific antigen) This led to further tests and soon after I learned that I had an agressive form of prostate cancer which had spread to my liver. I was given less than 3 years to live but I passed the 2 year mark in April and although the drugs are tough on the body - I usually sleep 10 or 11 hours a night - I have been enjoying life since. I can still run with the young guys (maybe just not as fast)

Anyway my point is that 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime and although more men die with it, than of it, it is a cause of major anxiety for men diagnosed with it and a problem for most men treated for it. More research is needed to reduce the severity of treatment and the subsequent side effects. Give to your local Prostate research foundation.

Just wanted to get the word out - it is a "pain in the ***" but it might save your life.

Thanks, Ron

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pita finish.jpg (109.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
Ron-Pain inthe Ass.jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Safeway Father's Day run/walk for Prostate Cancer

You know Ron, as most of us go about our daily lives, dealing with insignificant problems that always seem to pop up at the most inopportune times, we tend to forget that some people are dealing with life altering situations that we can't even begin to imagine.
Your post makes us sit back and reflect on our lives, and (in my case) makes me thank God for the health that I do enjoy.
You will be in our prayers, and thanks for sharing your story.

Last edited by +fireamx; 06-21-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Safeway Father's Day run/walk for Prostate Cancer

Ron, thanks for posting this, and for running the 10K to help raise money. I also was diagnosed with prostate cancer during a routine physical. I was 55 at the time. Luckily they caught mine early & I was able to have prostate surgery & have been cancer free for the last 2 1/2 years.
like ron said, if you are a male over 50 get a check-up.