Canada Serving Canada.

Movember

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Movember

As some of you may have heard or may know someone partaking in this event. I am growing a mustache to help raise awareness and money for research for one of the most common cancers that kill as many men per year as breast cancer kills women.........Prostate Cancer. If you would like to donate to my worth while cause I strongly encourage you to click on the below link and donate!!

MOVEMBER................
Well it's that time of year again..........Time to keep your lip warm and grow a stache to help raise awareness for Men's health and quiet killer known as Prostate Cancer. I honor of my pledge, and my genetic inability to grow a good Stache I will extend my journey beyond November. Like last year I will keep all my pledges up to date with progress pictures, and "StacheDates" updating my progress.
Last year’s Canadian campaign was the second largest in the world behind Australia, with 35,156 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas coming together to raise $7.8 million for Prostate Cancer Canada.

Help me and my Stache help put an end to Prostate Cancer!
I challenge any of my friends to join my cause and hop on my bandwagon and be my MoBro! Sign up and join my Team!!!

Movember Canada - Home

Please feel free to pass along my email to anyone who wants to participate in helping stamp out prostate cancer once and for all!

Last edited by Cydetrak; 11-11-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: Movember

Interesting.

Here in the States we have a whole month of "pink" for the ladies and Breast Cancer Awareness. One of the Firetruck in Wentzeville MO is permanaently painted PINK for the annual Marh for pink parade..

Yet this disease, which affects 1 in 3 men (actually all of us will have some form of it before we die), is mysteriously kept below the covers.

Thanks for posting.

roadster with a stick

Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. What a "teen-stache" you have started! haha. Ah haha. haa -a -a

I will check out the link and donate.

Edit: Just donated $40 for a good cause and because I want to see you with a full stache!

Last edited by Beaner; 11-11-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Beaner!

Thanks a lot for the generous donation! I just got the confirmation via Email!

I appreciate you helping our the great cause just to see me look stupid! You're a true friend.
I promise I will grow it until it is full and complete and will post pics and update on here as I go!!

Thanks again!

Sean

Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Sean, I have tried to donate but the site won't accept my entry for the cash amount.

What?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Sean, I have tried to donate but the site won't accept my entry for the cash amount.

What?
I made it look like the eg. beside where you enter your amount. I think you might have to include the decimal. 20.00 or 15.00 or 350.00 something like those

Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular

Hey Franc,
Thanks for the support!! I think Beaner is right. It's picky and needs the decimal written for the full amount.

Let me know if it still gives you a problem and I'll figure out an alternative!

This community is truly one of a kind!!

Thanks guys!

Sean

Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Cool Re: Movember

I now know what Movember is..............I had heard of this before but had no idea of what it was.

Just a little side information for you guys that have your PSA screening (blood test) done; your doctor should be having you tested every year when you become 55+ (maybe even 50).

Anyways, when you go for your PSA blood test, make sure that you don't 'ejaculate' for up to 3 days prior to them taking the blood. If you do, it will give you a false elevation reading and you might end up as a good candidate for painful 'biopsy' unless your doctor is smart enough to ask you the question about 'ejaculation'.

I have proven that it is in fact true............my PSA was slowly escalating over the years and
then in a 3 month period, it went up 20%; the doc wanted me tested again and possible prostate biopsy done, but he asked me the question about 'ejaculation' and prior to my retest, I refrained from that for 3 days prior (obviously pure hell); the PSA had gone back down to the previous level and the Doctor's concern at this time is no more alarming. Thus no 'biopsy', at least for the near future..........we will see what future PSA levels result in.

BTW, prostate biopsy's are not fool proof ............. they have to snip the exact spot where there might be cancer and if they miss, you may still have some cancer in that prostate. If the PSA keeps going up, they will likely take another couple of snips later.

Hope that information is helpful to someone.

Last edited by mbepic; 11-12-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mbepic= Thanks for the info, it may be come very usefull in the near future.
Just a side note, my Doctor has told me it's actually good for the prostate to ejaculate on a regular basis........tell your wives, girlfriends & partners!!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

glad someone is taking on this challenge...it runs in my family...and I am due for a screening...not a fun thing...butt...ha..ha...it is necessary now that I have crossed another milestone...

Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
glad someone is taking on this challenge...it runs in my family...and I am due for a screening...not a fun thing...butt...ha..ha...it is necessary now that I have crossed another milestone...

You say that the PSA screening is not a fun thing; it is as simple as taking a vial of blood similar to any other blood test you might get. It is no big deal other than the possible line-up to get in to do it.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mbepic
You say that the PSA screening is not a fun thing; it is as simple as taking a vial of blood similar to any other blood test you might get. It is no big deal other than the possible line-up to get in to do it.
Got that right!

Now for the other potential tests for prostate or the colon, yeah that is a pain in the ****, but man up because nobody will think you more of a man for not doing it and dealing with either disease.

I'll check out the link.

(edit: Is that thing really going to grow in, as Beaner said, that is a "teen-stache" if ever I saw one. )

Last edited by Erzer; 11-13-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 PM

Sean... your teamates suck.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

Here's the latest StacheDate.......

It ain't pretty......It just looks that way!!

Feel free to donate, and and all donations are welcome to help stomp out Prostate Cancer!

I'm going for the Ron Burgundy!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a great cause.

I had a physical just before I turned 51. My Dr performed a DRE (digital rectal exam) and found my prostate to be firmer than it should have been. I was sent for a PSA(prostate specific antigen)blood test which came back extremely high. I was sent to have a biopsy and a few dozen other tests and scans and found it was terminal. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes and liver. Too late for surgery. I had no symptoms. The Dr said I had less than three years. That's the bad part.
The good part is in April 2008 I started treatments to get my PSA down. With a shot every three months and a pill every second day I am still very much alive. I am one of the lucky ones. The drugs take their toll physicallly and mentally but I have continued to run 5k (3 miles) 2-3 times a week. I have done the Safeway Father's day Run/Walk for Prostate cancer for the last three years. This year I ran the 10.8K again with my Team "PAIN in the A**" and raised over $9000.00. But to put that in perspective it was almost 5% of the money raised in Metro Vancouver event. The breast cancer "run for the cure" in October raised almost 10 times that amount. As you can see this is a disease that is underfunded and because it is usually an older man's disease it doesn't get the attention it should. I am 53 - a common # on this forum.

I don't know Sean but he is a great guy to grow that thing on his face and raise some money for a great cause. I wanted to put a litttle something extra on Sean's post to get those wallets open or at least to get you guys to think about prostate cancer and the need for research. The current treatments usually have not so nice side effects so it really is a good cause. I still hope they will find a cure - maybe not in my lifetime but in some of yours!

Thanks again Sean,
Ron

Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Ron.............51 is way too young for that BUT we're grateful that you are still here to share your story; Thanks for that and our prayers are with you.

Keep up the courageous battle!

Roy

Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a scare with this a couple of years ago. It was just the more common non cancerous inflamation though, fixed with antibiotics and such. It definitly makes you afraid of seeing the little light at the end of the tunnel. Now I get checked more often.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean,
Donation sent: Any updates pics ?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular

I would like to thank Everyone who had made a donation to my cause and would also like to thank Ron for sharing his inspirational story.
I'm glad to see you are beating the odds, and would gladly dedicate my Stache to you this year.

Thank you to all on this great community who have taken the time to donate to a cause that is greatly needing to be brought to the mainstream much like Breast Cancer has been.

As promised please see attached update!

Last edited by Cydetrak; 11-22-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Movember's not over yet! Support Sean or your local favorite stache.

Remember your prostate - it's one of those nice little organs that you forget about till it doesn't work right or they want to take it away

Thanks for the dedication. Ron

Quick Reply: Movember