View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Check Engine light comes on and off.

Originally Posted by Wes__Hutchinson
I think we are basically in agreement but not everyone has the capability to repair cars themselves. It is tough to ask a novice to first diagnose, then replace-repair a problem with a vehicle if they don't even have a rudimentary understanding of what they are attempting. A trip to a Mercedes dealership may be cost effective for someone likethat.
A lot of MB dealers won't touch our cars - or so they say. But there ARE a lot of "mom and pop" shops that work on MBs and THOSE are usually a good bet. Buckhead Imports in Atlanta being REALLY good, to the point they build and do major mods to our cars! They did my -10c fan mod for $50.

I have a local shop that four brothers own who do exotics as well as MB, BMWs and a lot of 'standard' stuff for things like brakes or easier stuff I don't want to do.

What are you using that gives you live data as I will get one for myself.
The VW can-bus scanners that I have do all systems, air-bags, theft, HVAC etc as well as plotting, graphing, storing live data paramaeters. They cost less than $100 and do everything a stealership can do. I don't know of anything like this for our crossfires at that low of a cost. If they are out there let me know where I can get one, or the software for my laptop along with any special cable needed for the mercedes application.
Thanks

I just looked at the Ultragauge website. It does appear that most all the live parameters you would need for troubleshooting are available. I will probably order one if I can't find something more comprehensive at a reasonable price.
I swear by my Ultragauge! But it is not as extensive as what Rudy is doing with his laptop - you'd have to ask Rudy or one of the 'modders' on here what to buy - but you are right - it won't be $100.

I am not sure I will ever have a car without at least SOMETHING like the Ultragauge - for under $100 it is an awesome tool AND toy. If I lay my hands on a second crossfire, I will order an oil pressure gauge and Ultragauge as soon as I drive the car home. I'll then head for Buckhead and get the fan set down right away.

PM rcompart, bigkid, thirteendog, or amx1397 for answers about what is available ! (There are others on here, but those guys I KNOW will have answers for you.)