Old 10-06-2013, 12:19 AM
JEFASOLD
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Good Question, Jim!

Originally Posted by Voyager1988
A few statements are in order...

1. Despite my ownership of a Crossfire, I am actually a very conventional person.

2. My Crossfire, under my ownership, will never enter competition/race. It is a daily driver.

3. For people like me, who enjoy both the looks and handling of the car, but don't look to increase its performance, we think of other things.

4. I can't think of why I would need 255 width tires on such a small, short car for my driving.

5. I think that the inability to rotate tires is an inconvenience.

6. I am "testing the envelope" with such questions.

7. My rear tires are at the wear indicators at just over 15,000 miles and 7 years(got it on a trade), so IF I make any switches on wheels/tires, now is a good time to do it, and not later.

Thanks for your advice, and for asking why.

Question: What is the impact of NOT using an offset on 18" tires?

Scott
Well if you will note on the stock wheels the rear has an offset[wider lip] that sets your rear wheels out a little due to the fact that the rear hubs are set a little narrower than your front. Your front suspension accounts for those hubs being a little wider. So to normalize the track width the rear wheels have a different offset. If you use the same offset, front and rear, you may find something that will work but it's going to look funny as you will be messing with the track width. It may also handle a little funny. IMO, not having the correct offsets might contribute to faster or uneven tire wear, I would stick to what was engineered into the car. You don't hear many comments about uneven tire wear. Just the hot shoes who go through tires every few K miles.