Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

I want 18" Tires w/identical tires on all Four wheels

Old 09-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want 18" Tires w/identical tires on all Four wheels

Dear Friends:

I own a stock 2006 Crossfire Coupe with the original Front 18"/Rear 19" wheel set-up with stock Continental tires. I bought the car used in July with only 12,800 miles on it. Smelled new and drove the same.

Many of you probably have discussed this question in detail...

What should I use in terms of tires, etc. to have all four wheels running the same size 18" tires/wheels? I am working off the assumption that the rear can accept the stock Crossfire 18" wheels because the bolt pattern is the same for front and rear.

What does it take, and what do I need to know?

Thanks,

Scott
Toccoa, Georgia

Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: I want 18" Tires w/identical tires on all Four wheels

You can, but why ?

BTW: welcome !

You aren't far from Cumming, care to meet up with us and join the convoy to Fontana ( Fall Tail of the Dragon GTG ) ?

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bolt pattern is the same but the offset is different so you might need some spacers to get it to "look" right. Also, the smaller diameter rim will need to be compensated for with a taller sidewall tire to get close to the same circumference of the 19" OEM set up to keep the speedometer reading correctly.

Try searching for " 18" Wheel " in the Google Custom search bar at the top of the page and see what you come up with - a lot of comments and suggestions on those threads.

RL

Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Also, I have a pair of 18" wheels with tires, as well as a pair of 19".
Tires ain't much to talk about, all the wheels are 7 spokers ( standard NA )
If you want 'em, you'll have to come get 'em, I have no way to ship 'em.
If interested, we can haggle a price.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by RL67037
The bolt pattern is the same but the offset is different so you might need some spacers to get it to "look" right. Also, the smaller diameter rim will need to be compensated for with a taller sidewall tire to get close to the same circumference of the 19" OEM set up to keep the speedometer reading correctly.

Try searching for " 18" Wheel " in the Google Custom search bar at the top of the page and see what you come up with - a lot of comments and suggestions on those threads.

RL
True, I put my spare 18"'s on the rear, looks funky and the speedo is about 3 MPH off .....

Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager1988
Dear Friends:

I own a stock 2006 Crossfire Coupe with the original Front 18"/Rear 19" wheel set-up with stock Continental tires. I bought the car used in July with only 12,800 miles on it. Smelled new and drove the same.

What should I use in terms of tires, etc. to have all four wheels running the same size 18" tires/wheels? I am working off the assumption that the rear can accept the stock Crossfire 18" wheels because the bolt pattern is the same for front and rear.

Thanks,

Scott
Toccoa, Georgia
What's a couple of inches anyway?
Try this.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What's a couple of inches anyway?
Try this.
This is a winter set up and only 16" wheels and with winter tires.
Not intended for year round use at all.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I use 18's on all four corners for the race track. If you insist on having the same size on all four corners you can fit a 255/35/18 on all 4 corners. If lowered you'll need to roll the front fenders. If at stock height they will fit with a 30 offset on the front. Let's just say to be able to rotate the 4 tires to all four corners for what ever reason, you'll have to buy custom wheels. I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Les

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Dear Friends:

Thanks,

Scott
Toccoa, Georgia
Let me be the second to welcome you to Crossfireforum.org!

As Ala_xfire said, you are welcome to join us for the fall Dragon event - and if you attend, you can discuss this in person with those who know. I'd stick with the factory set up all the way around - this car was DESIGNED to run with 18/19's and it does so very well - I think you will be sorry for trying to get away with what is quite a change.

Please read these threads:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-4-5-6-a.html (Well, maybe just the first three posts....)

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...y-atlanta.html

You have wandered into a wonderful community of friends here - and everything you need or want to know about your car is here as well.

Welcome to the fun!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You can, but why ?

BTW: welcome !

You aren't far from Cumming, care to meet up with us and join the convoy to Fontana ( Fall Tail of the Dragon GTG ) ?
We could meet him (her?) at GA9 and US129 at 1:30

Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK
This is a winter set up and only 16" wheels and with winter tires.
Not intended for year round use at all.
No kidding.
Well ..... it was a tongue in cheek response. "What's a couple of inches anyway".
I see I am going to have to spell out JOKE COMING.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 PM

For my friend in Lineville, AL:

My Mapquest tells me that you are not really that far from me, about 193 miles. I am seeing a range of prices on Ebay, but they all naturally include shipping. Should we talk about price on the phone or via e-mail?

Scott
Toccoa, Georgia

Last edited by Voyager1988; 10-03-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Should have added an addressee
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Additional Questions...

1. Has anyone tried a 225/45/18 on the FRONT? If so, did it clear the fenders, etc.?

2. Several in this thread have remarked that a narrower(e.g. 225 width) tire would look funny mounted on the back wheels. Anyone have a photo to post of how that looks without spacers?

My own calculations tell me that a 225/45/18 on the back will not change the speedo reading much at all.

Scott

Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Additional Questions...

1. Has anyone tried a 225/45/18 on the FRONT? If so, did it clear the fenders, etc.?

2. Several in this thread have remarked that a narrower(e.g. 225 width) tire would look funny mounted on the back wheels. Anyone have a photo to post of how that looks without spacers?

My own calculations tell me that a 225/45/18 on the back will not change the speedo reading much at all.

Scott
I think that what you are attempting is definitely possible with the correct offset but for the life of me, I really don't see why you want to do this. The car was designed to handle well with the stock size tires, what do you feel will be the advantage to the 18's all around?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Smile Good Question, Jim!

A few statements are in order...

1. Despite my ownership of a Crossfire, I am actually a very conventional person.

2. My Crossfire, under my ownership, will never enter competition/race. It is a daily driver.

3. For people like me, who enjoy both the looks and handling of the car, but don't look to increase its performance, we think of other things.

4. I can't think of why I would need 255 width tires on such a small, short car for my driving.

5. I think that the inability to rotate tires is an inconvenience.

6. I am "testing the envelope" with such questions.

7. My rear tires are at the wear indicators at just over 15,000 miles and 7 years(got it on a trade), so IF I make any switches on wheels/tires, now is a good time to do it, and not later.

Thanks for your advice, and for asking why.

Question: What is the impact of NOT using an offset on 18" tires?

Scott

Last edited by Voyager1988; 10-05-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added a question at the end.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Good Question, Jim!

A few statements are in order...

1. Despite my ownership of a Crossfire, I am actually a very conventional person.

2. My Crossfire, under my ownership, will never enter competition/race. It is a daily driver.

3. For people like me, who enjoy both the looks and handling of the car, but don't look to increase its performance, we think of other things.

4. I can't think of why I would need 255 width tires on such a small, short car for my driving.

5. I think that the inability to rotate tires is an inconvenience.

6. I am "testing the envelope" with such questions.

7. My rear tires are at the wear indicators at just over 15,000 miles and 7 years(got it on a trade), so IF I make any switches on wheels/tires, now is a good time to do it, and not later.

Thanks for your advice, and for asking why.

Question: What is the impact of NOT using an offset on 18" tires?

Scott
Well if you will note on the stock wheels the rear has an offset[wider lip] that sets your rear wheels out a little due to the fact that the rear hubs are set a little narrower than your front. Your front suspension accounts for those hubs being a little wider. So to normalize the track width the rear wheels have a different offset. If you use the same offset, front and rear, you may find something that will work but it's going to look funny as you will be messing with the track width. It may also handle a little funny. IMO, not having the correct offsets might contribute to faster or uneven tire wear, I would stick to what was engineered into the car. You don't hear many comments about uneven tire wear. Just the hot shoes who go through tires every few K miles.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Smile Thanks a bunch, Jim!

Dear Jim:

That is probably the strongest argument yet as to why I shouldn't mess with it.

Thanks to you and the others who have responded to my questions at the start of this thread!

Scott

Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just assumed you'd want to go wide. If you want to be able to rotate 4 ways and are a hyper miler it can be figured out. You can put 18x8 on all four corners with a 32 offset and it should work. I doubt the cost of the rims will equal any savings from being able to rotate the tires.

Les

Old 01-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I just went through this with my new long distance tourer. Came with 18x8.5 front with 235x50R18s and 18x9 rear with 265x45R18 rear. Since not a track car I went to 17x8s on all four with 235x60R17s all around. Did require spacers/tuner lug nuts with extended shanks to clear the calipers. Drives just fine and has a noticeably smoother ride while tires are about a Benjamin less each than the 265s.
As long as nothing rubs and you do not get any bump steer, there is no reason not to.

Living in Florida where we get intense rainstorms I value wet traction and lack of hydroplaning very highly. Mercedes has 17s that will fit nicely. Make sure they are for 12x1.5mm bolts and not 14s.

ps whole thing started because the almost new Michelin Pilot MXM4s that were on it were terrible in the wet (first street Michelins I've seen that were bad in the rain). Now have BFG T/As that are excellent.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Lightbulb Re: I want 18" Tires w/identical tires on all Four wheels

Originally Posted by Padgett
I just went through this with my new long distance tourer. Came with 18x8.5 front with 235x50R18s and 18x9 rear with 265x45R18 rear. Since not a track car I went to 17x8s on all four with 235x60R17s all around. Did require spacers/tuner lug nuts with extended shanks to clear the calipers. Drives just fine and has a noticeably smoother ride while tires are about a Benjamin less each than the 265s.
As long as nothing rubs and you do not get any bump steer, there is no reason not to.

Living in Florida where we get intense rainstorms I value wet traction and lack of hydroplaning very highly. Mercedes has 17s that will fit nicely. Make sure they are for 12x1.5mm bolts and not 14s.

ps whole thing started because the almost new Michelin Pilot MXM4s that were on it were terrible in the wet (first street Michelins I've seen that were bad in the rain). Now have BFG T/As that are excellent.
Hi Pagett, Looks like you just responded to a post from 2013??? Why???

Quick Reply: I want 18" Tires w/identical tires on all Four wheels