Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 PM
+fireamx
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New gearing in my SRT6 - from 3.07 to 3.27 - Success!

wt
Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
Well, to me every freeway on ramp IS a drag race. Since I never get to make use of the cars upper end, that wouldn't be a big deal, but I can see how cruising and more specifically MPG would suffer. Noticable gains are just so hard to come by with the N/A, I thought this might be something that hadn't been tried yet.
Will be curious to see your results with the setup. Good luck!
Your complaint has been echo'd on this forum since its inception. Probably happened the first time somebody pulled up along side a Camary, and had their doors blown off by the Toyota. Or by nearly every other car built that had a lower gear ratio than the Crossfire. (Which includes every other sports car that was considered direct "competition" for the XF.
The only reason the NA, and the SRT's are saddled with such ridiculously high gears is because of Benz's obsession for long high speed crusing on the Autobahn.
To answer your question, yes a 3.46 would be an excellent gear ratio for an NA Crossfire......Automatic. For a 6 spd. it would make the already very low 1st. gear, even lower. Normal everyday driveability would be effected, in most situations you would probably start off in 2nd. But if you're proficient with a manual, and have good biting tires, then you will out accelerate a Crossfire that has a 3.27 gear.
The same is true for any other "lower" gear ratio somebody wants to use.
A stock SRT with DR's and a 3.46 gear will beat a matching SRT with a 3.27 gear.
AN SRT with a 3.73 differential will out run an identical one with a 3.46, and so forth and so on. (as long as traction remains a constant). That's the trick.
But maybe somday, "Wheelie Bars" on 9 and 10 sec. Crossfires will be the norm. Rudy's going to be very busy.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.