View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Padgett
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Hands Free Phone

Guess I have trouble with calling a Blauplunct a POS, it was a very good radio for its time, just that time was the last century. Further I find the amp and speaker system in the Limited to be well suited to a modern head unit.

What I dislike immensely is green illumination (too many years of green phosphor CRTs.

For a while I thought wireless to the FM circuits was the answer but never found one for a reasonable price that sounded any better than AM or Sirius/XM. I recall a few that connected directly to the antenna lead that may have been better but have not seen those lately.

So while I have been working the whole smart phone/tablet/desktop multimedia issue in a number of venues, I've found that a basis of a smart phone with a 5 or 6" screen is the best portable device available today. The only lack is that I have not yet found a way to integrate a back up camera.

Cnsequently all I want in a vehicle system is an amp, speakers, & maybe a microphone with Bluetooth and aux input. Only thing I use a CD for any more is a mounting place for the cell phone.

This means whichever car I'm in is attuned to me already. The same way any member of a famility would automagicly have the family car configured for the driver.

Two issues hold this back:
1) all vehicle manufacturers are treating infotainment as a profit center and have no reason to be compatible.
2) Internet connectivity is mostly fixed data volume (and streaming media can eat up a limited plan quickly).

Also certain information is easily avalable to a Smart Phone that the manufacturers do not necessarily want the consumers to know.

But that is just one aspect of what I have been looking at for the last few years, the revision of how we think about computers and televisions and communications. In home, vehicle, travel, and campers/RVs.

The cloud may become part of this but is also an immense opportunity for data mining so has privacy issues.

And then there is BYOD and Enterprise/Agency needs.

So while HFP is an important element, it is part of something much larger one of which is that HDTVs are obsolete already.